Tie rods still bend with sleeves

05greendmax

dyno and drag numberssoon
Dec 26, 2009
ohio
Just ran my slow turd at moorseville dragstrip got my ass waxed bad but hey I had fun. Now the broken parts list

Centerlink = bent
Tie rods = junk
Bent steering stabilizer off center link

Sleeves won't come off might as well get the whole 9 yards redone and stop dragraceing my slow turd.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Lots of people, including myself have raced for years with sleeves and a stock centerlink...

What were you doing incorrectly to makes that stuff bend?

Drag racing 101 with a duramax...

#1: lower torsion bars all the way down
#2: NO LIFT KEYS
#3: Refer to #2 then #1

05greendmax

Dec 26, 2009
ohio
Keys all the way down have leveling keys in it but bolts were out cv were flat as could be I have Ppe tierod sleeves they are slightly bend so stock tierod will not come out of inner. Center link is never been touched since truck came out of flint mich I
It wrinkled steering stabilizer. I never lifted the throttle while it was hopping t
That May or may of have done it

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you even have Cognito braces?

Just because a truck has "all the right parts" doesn't mean it's indestructible.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Keys all the way down have leveling keys in it but bolts were out cv were flat as could be I have Ppe tierod sleeves they are slightly bend so stock tierod will not come out of inner. Center link is never been touched since truck came out of flint mich I
It wrinkled steering stabilizer. I never lifted the throttle while it was hopping t
That May or may of have done it

I see 2 very big problems with this post.

What are they?

Refer to my earlier post of racing 101...

NO F'N LIFT KEYS :eek::mad:

Sorry man but you did this to yourself.

You should have lifted the throttle when it started hopping.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just because your CV's are flat when the truck is static doesn't mean they are flat when you launch the truck, your nose will raise ~6"...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well the lift keys were not your only killer, it's was a combo, not just one thing like Brian is making it out to be.

For one, I would bet if you lifted one front tire off the ground and tried to turn it left or right, your centerlink probably rocks forward and backward. That movement causes a shit load if toe in when you launch in 4wd which will hop, which will also cause the front end to rise.

Next is the lift keys, even though your flat, when you hit the throttle, the front end rises and steering angles go bad causing toe in in your already bad toe in issue with the bad idler/pitman arm

Last is the fact you didn't lift and probably what cost you the most coin. That hop is horribly bad as you can see lol

05greendmax

Dec 26, 2009
ohio
So I have to get ahold a set of stock keys and get a whole new front end basically

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Here is what I would do.

First, do some research on centerlinks and see what one would be best for you. There is a shit ton of info about them on here and many different choices. Each has it's pros and cons.

Next, check for the slop in the idler/pitman arm like I talked about above.

Third, get some stock keys and when you go racing, drop the cv"s so the cv end at the wheel is a little higher than the cv at the diff end.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Definitely get some braces for the next go round. I have sleeves and braces with stock keys and the bolts removed and have never had an issue. My cv angle is a bit negative as well.