TIE RODS? help please

For-Sale

Jul 10, 2009
Iv had my duramax for about two weeks and already broke a tie rod going to pull my small popup camper in 4wd. I know fabtech and cognito make aftermarket ones that are about the same price. what ones do you guys recommend. will sleeves work on autozone tierods and will they hold up to off roading and some bigger power in the future. BACKGROUND 2001 crewcab with fabtech 8in lift and 20in rims on 36in tires motor is stock except a edge with att on its way

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I have Cognito HD rods, they have been thorugh alot and just keep hangin in there. I have heard some horror stories about the Fabtech units. But that could be hearsay. Sleeves will work fine too, I just prefer the full HD rod

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
The Cognito unit is better and cheaper than the Fabtech unit. Let me know if you need a set, we can get you one out.

Chad

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
IMO sleeves on stock inner tie rods is plenty. What I prefer about doing sleeves is if the tie rod ends wear out you replace with stock cheap and local - while if you have the HD tie rods you have to replace the outer tie rod with an expensive HD unit that you have to wait for. We use sleeves and a straight centerlink on our trucks for pulling and racing and don't have any steering problems.

Fat_Robi

I may be wrong, but...
Sep 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV / Provo,UT
If the stock one is already bust would it not cost more to replace and sleeve stock ones than buy the HD pieces? I have no idea what prices are but just thinks it might be:confused:

For-Sale

Jul 10, 2009
looks like im going to go with cognito i want as strong as possible if someone could point me out to the cheapest place to order some or the person in the previous post that offered to get me some let me know a price thanks for the quick help i love this forum

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
I highly doubt there is that much difference between the fabtech and cognito tie rod units. I have fabtech units they are fine, and they are cheaper than the cognito ones.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
looks like im going to go with cognito i want as strong as possible if someone could point me out to the cheapest place to order some or the person in the previous post that offered to get me some let me know a price thanks for the quick help i love this forum

call chad at aligator he will give you a great price and his customer service cant be beat.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The only downside to the fabtech is you need a lifted truck to use them otherwide the boots hit the sway bar

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The only downside to the fabtech is you need a lifted truck to use them otherwide the boots hit the sway bar

The OP stated he has an 8" lift on the truck, w/20in wheels/36in tires. Thats a lot of weight to get rolling...

Just a question: Could breaking a tie rod on a lifted truck be an indication of something out of alignment or is it just "one of those things"?

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
The OP stated he has an 8" lift on the truck, w/20in wheels/36in tires. Thats a lot of weight to get rolling...

Just a question: Could breaking a tie rod on a lifted truck be an indication of something out of alignment or is it just "one of those things"?

Tom, the 8 inch lift has a high angle on the cv's and tierods, whick makes it even easier to bend or break tierods by the wheels toeing in while in 4wd. thats the reason i took my lift off my truck, i got tired of the toeing in and weird launching in 4wd

Duramax5

duramax freak
Sep 15, 2011
West Texas
I have a stock height dmax with fabtechs n I have the boot rubbing problem. How do u extend the swaybar links? And also I heard that fabtech will replace the worn boots for free? Anyone know if thats true?