Throttle Pedal Problem

bsieja

Jun 8, 2023
North Carolina
I have an 03 2500hd LB7. I recently had some work done on the engine because the water pump was leaking. When the shop took the pump off the block was filled with what looked like black axle grease. I got the truck in 2021. The cluster read 210,xxx miles but after a Carfax in 2019 it had 230,xxx miles on it. I just didn’t want to go back in the motor because that’s all I could afford right now. The truck sat for a year before rebuild and after the tear down. I decided to have the block heat washed. I decided to: replace the lifters, reseal the engine, head gaskets and bolts, Wagler delipped Mahle pistons and rings, water pump, oil pump, resealed the injectors and a new starter. I did not get new injectors.

The throttle pedal problem I had was before the rebuild. It seemed like it was worn out. I had to press the pedal about 1/3 of the way down to get it to go. Then when the motor was rebuilt, the pedal worked as soon as I pressed it. I just put 300 miles on it since and now the pedal is like it was before, slack.

That’s my problem. Any help would be great. Thanks, Brian

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There is no throttle cable on these vehicles to wear out. It's all electrical. If it goes bad more then likely it will throw a code. You will need a scanner that can read PID values to see if the throttle is behaving as it should. More then likely there is something else causing the issue such as a baro or maf sensor that is acting up causing the engine to limit fueling. The scanner should be able to get the values of the various sensors so we can tell you if they look inline with what they should be.

If you don't have or can't aquire a proper scanner then you will likely have to take it to a shop

Reactions: wydopenLb7