Thoughts on CP Carillo's Hybrid Rods/Pistons?

akdmaxx

Jul 12, 2015
Finger's oval's are designed to keep more material above the pin to makenthem more resistant to cracking in that area. It would seem that making a shorter piston would take material away from that. That being said they are forged but only available in 16.5:1. Kind of a high comp ratio for a piston and rod going after the racing crowd. Forged is not a good choice for a DD.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I like the longer rod.
I like the weight savings.
I'm not fond of the smaller pin diameter for a daily driver or forged for that matter.

The latest rev of the Mahle forged with taper cut pins puts you in this same weight ballpark as these, but with the stock rod length and pin diameter.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Ngm diesel race engines now has a new forged aluminum piston with steel ring land available. Drop in replacement.

Carrillo, and fingers both have nice products as well.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ngm diesel race engines now has a new forged aluminum piston with steel ring land available. Drop in replacement.

That's cool but has nothing to do with his thread??? You didn't even provide any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Weight savings is cool, I think the pin will be fine. And if you aren't spinning serious RPM the stock rod length is plenty.

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana

Diamond has the new steel ring land piston coming out that will be available through mulitple sources. If all goes well I should have a set in November.

I like the idea of their package deal, however I'd still want to go to the narrow rod end and Callie's crank setup.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It probably is, Issac. But the new '17 Dmax is offset cap. I wonder if they are backward-compatible?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The hybrid kit does not use an offset cap design. The L5P rod is offset cap. I know this about the hybrid kit because I have one.

you realize this is about 1.5 years old and its just cause Tom didnt read that the pic in the article is for cummins, right?