Those with coil overs

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I've never heard of this "too low" thing you're speaking of.

when i can hardly get a low pro jack under the front, its too low LOL

and i feel im going to break a CV sooner rather than later with how negative these are.

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
Cant you just run the taller shock mounts on the LCAs to bring it up some or fab up some to the length you want and it be fine?

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
Would it cause more wear somehow? I know they'd have to be made out of stronger material sense that point holds all the weight.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you need a limiter to keep the shock from tearing apart. you can add the spacer but if there isnt something to stop the arms from overstroking the shock, you will kill it. to say "just add a spacer" could do more damage than intended if you dont know where that put the shock in its stroke in comparison to the suspension. not to metion i wouldnt wanna be adding any more leverage to the bottom LCA tabs than absolutely needed.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
I gotcha chevy1925 but if the trucks purely street driven i wouldnt think there would be much worry of over extending the shock and adjusting the bumpstops so the shock doesnt bottom out seems like an easy enough task. i know you can get limit straps made but would that not be overkill for a short street shock?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
street driven or not, this is now the main thing holding your truck up. you really wanna destroy your shock and coil carrier cause you didnt set it up properly?

these are not torsion bars guys, you cant just crank till it hits bumpstops. you have 2 other limiters in there now, its call shock stroke and coil bind.

YOU CAN NOT BOLT THESE IN AND EXPECT TO HOLD STOCK RIDE HEIGHT OR A BIT LOWER WITH THEM.

this is a 4" stroke shock. your droop is going to be stopped by the shock. go back and read 408 lukes original thread. there is plenty of tech in there and why you would not be able to crank the front end more than where his truck sits. doing so would mean your at the top of the shocks travel and you would have no droop in the suspension from ride height.

i feel like everyone is against what i have to say about coilovers cause they want them to work so bad on their truck. it aint that simple and there is so much more to it unless you want another problem to consistently arise in your truck after 5-10K.

You wanna try it yourself, be my guest but its not going to be that easy and you will probably swap back to something else at some point.

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
I went back through his thread. i understand these are only for lowered trucks. the tire clearance is what made me think raising it an inch or so would be necessary but a smaller tire would fix that. so what precautions are needed to keep the shock from killing itself? not meaning to annoy you just trying to understand the ins and outs of the coil-overs better.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
It's going to take custom mounting points and not nesicarily a different shock and coil setup. Although a 10" or 12" spring on a 5" travel shock would be better for stock ride hight application. My setup works so well for me because it's so low and I'm going for more of a car style travel. Very little up and verry little down.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mounting points are half the battle. You still need limiters/bumpstops that are NOT the shock.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
What length and spring rate do you have on it?

It's going to take custom mounting points and not nesicarily a different shock and coil setup. Although a 10" or 12" spring on a 5" travel shock would be better for stock ride hight application. My setup works so well for me because it's so low and I'm going for more of a car style travel. Very little up and verry little down.