Thinking wayyyyy ahead

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
So far ahead I didn't want to call and bother anyone.

I'm from the southern Indiana area and have kicked around the idea of getting my transmission built. It just so happens that Destin is one of my favorite vacation spots. Does suncoast actually work on customer trucks or just sell and distribute parts?

If you guys do work on trucks, what's the turn around time on a build? I don't even know what I want yet just an average turn around time would be appreciated. I'm going to start saving back money now and the plan is a family vacation down there and get my transmission built at the same time.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I would assume they would have you in and out in a day... Yes they install the parts they sell

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
In and out in a day should be no problem. There are other builders close to home as well...

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Suncoast will have you out in a day. Very few shops can stand up to the Suncoast quality.
Those guys are good.:D

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
What part of southern Indiana you from?

Princeton. Just a little north of Evansville. You might have heard our wonderful president was here yesterday :spit:

I would assume they would have you in and out in a day... Yes they install the parts they sell

In and out in a day should be no problem. There are other builders close to home as well...

Suncoast will have you out in a day. Very few shops can stand up to the Suncoast quality.
Those guys are good.:D

Awesome thanks guys that's what I had hoped for.:thumb:

I will call and work it out with them when it's time to get it done. I just wanted to have a plan in mind before I started stashing away cash. Built trans plus white sand beaches......that's hard to beat. I love that area, even if it is a 10 hour drive.

I got some trans safe tunes from Kory and all that makes me want to do is see what she really has with a max effort tune. I've caught the bug for sure......

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Awesome thanks guys that's what I had hoped for.:thumb:

I got some trans safe tunes from Kory and all that makes me want to do is see what she really has with a max effort tune. I've caught the bug for sure......

it's an easy bug to catch, just not so easy to afford the "meds" to treat it
:D

if you want a lil cheap security, you can add a TransGo Jr shift kit to your transmissions valve body. It will enhance your shift event, make the shifts a lil shorter and crisper, which will help to keep your clutches from slipping and "can" (typically does) increase the lifespan of a stock trans running tunes...
I pretty much tell everyone with a 6-sp Allison equipped truck to run a TransGo Jr shift kit when they're planning on using EFI-L with a 130-150hp tune...
I've put several in for some locals, no issues and ZERO complaints
:thumb:

It may only take a day, but I bet you can plan on the bill from Suncoast being just shy of 6k

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I live in Robinson Il I am about an hour away from you let us know what you decide to do.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
You will be hard pressed to find someone to build you a transmission that is as well built as what George at Suncoast will build you. Having someone put a boxed up kit in your trans is nothing like what you will get from Suncoast and that is where the added cost comes into play. You get what you pay for.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
it's an easy bug to catch, just not so easy to afford the "meds" to treat it
:D

if you want a lil cheap security, you can add a TransGo Jr shift kit to your transmissions valve body. It will enhance your shift event, make the shifts a lil shorter and crisper, which will help to keep your clutches from slipping and "can" (typically does) increase the lifespan of a stock trans running tunes...
I pretty much tell everyone with a 6-sp Allison equipped truck to run a TransGo Jr shift kit when they're planning on using EFI-L with a 130-150hp tune...
I've put several in for some locals, no issues and ZERO complaints
:thumb:

It may only take a day, but I bet you can plan on the bill from Suncoast being just shy of 6k

6k is worth it to get a properly build trans to me. I don't want to have to worry about it like I do now.

I live in Robinson Il I am about an hour away from you let us know what you decide to do.

you have a shop over that way I guess? I know some guys from the bridgeport/Lawrenceville area

You will be hard pressed to find someone to build you a transmission that is as well built as what George at Suncoast will build you. Having someone put a boxed up kit in your trans is nothing like what you will get from Suncoast and that is where the added cost comes into play. You get what you pay for.
That's exactly my point. I like vacationing down there anyways and we always drive. It works out too well not to do it.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
Oh and a transgo Jr is on my list for sure. Just gotta get the time to do it. I've also got to get over the idea of tearing into a perfectly good transmission

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Oh and a transgo Jr is on my list for sure. Just gotta get the time to do it. I've also got to get over the idea of tearing into a perfectly good transmission

You already have damaged C3/C4 clutches and don't know it, yet. Transgo jr will not help much at all with heat checked steel plates and carboned up frictions.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
You already have damaged C3/C4 clutches and don't know it, yet. Transgo jr will not help much at all with heat checked steel plates and carboned up frictions.

I drive it pretty easy and pay attention to what gear I'm in when I do give it some fuel. I'm sure there's some damage in there but if I've done much at all these things must be fragile as fine China. She's my baby and I treat her that way.

durtymax

Jun 17, 2011

So you are saying there is a difference in a reputable named builder taking a suncoast kit and building a trans then what you will get when suncoast themselves builds it. And I mean apples to apples as far as what stage of kit vs having the same stage installed at suncoast. I know there mechanics are some of the best in business. Not trying to make a mechanic comparison. Trying to make a hard part/custom work comparison. Not mouthing or bashing anyone or any company. Serious question.

Anthony@SunCoast

Apr 14, 2012
Destin, Fl
So you are saying there is a difference in a reputable named builder taking a suncoast kit and building a trans then what you will get when suncoast themselves builds it. And I mean apples to apples as far as what stage of kit vs having the same stage installed at suncoast. I know there mechanics are some of the best in business. Not trying to make a mechanic comparison. Trying to make a hard part/custom work comparison. Not mouthing or bashing anyone or any company. Serious question.

Suncoast kits are not bad by any means; However with this being said a "kit" is designs to fit all of a particular transmission, and each transmission case is not the "same". George at Suncoast is one of the most meticulous transmissions builders I have ever seen! He likes clearances to be Exact, and has the machine shop available to him modify ANYthing he needs to achieve those tolerances.

durtymax

Jun 17, 2011
Suncoast kits are not bad by any means; However with this being said a "kit" is designs to fit all of a particular transmission, and each transmission case is not the "same". George at Suncoast is one of the most meticulous transmissions builders I have ever seen! He likes clearances to be Exact, and has the machine shop available to him modify ANYthing he needs to achieve those tolerances.

I completely understand and know that he is one of the best. And that he has a machine shop capable of making his clearances exact every time. But what I was getting at was he acted like they did something different. And I understand that info may not be divulged on the interweb. And that's fine. I just didn't know if he was referring to how good George and his mechanics are or if he was referring to some actual custom work they do in house only. No biggy just curious.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

There is no apples to apples comparison every trans is different and needs to be treated as such. What comes in a kit doesn't cover the other wear and non wear items in the trans that need to be inspected by someone competent to avoid future problems that most would overlook. I said you would be hard pressed to find someone to build you one of the quality George will not that you couldn't. That being said I only need to use the fingers on one hand to name the ones that I feel would and i'll leave it at that.

durtymax

Jun 17, 2011
OK. I see what your saying now. I agree completely. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk