thinking about zf6 dmax

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
so long story short i finally got my 76 chevy rebuild done to where i can drive it (its nouthing speical 350 4 speed) anyway now that im back to shifting gears in that old truck im getting the itch to ditch the 01 and get a zf6 dmax cuz i just really get bored with autos so u guys that have or had them chime in and tell me is it worth it or do dmaxs suck in manuel form i have never driven one so i dont know how they are and just looking for opnions it would just be a play truck not really looking to build power or anything just want to have fun shifting gears

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I LOVE mine!!! The clutch and trans are very tight and precise, not all sloppy like a dodge. I would upgrade the clutch and flywheel immediatly as the stock one are pretty much junk. Other than that ive had no problems (knock on wood) and its way more fun to drive than any auto......nothin like cruising along at 45mph, down shifting and getting sideways :thumb:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I love the hell out of mine, excellent transmissions! My truck was a logging company work truck so it got treated like crap and towed way more weight than it should have. The bent gooseneck ball proves that hahaha. But the trans still shifts like new. You'll want to get a solid flywheel and clutch ASAP, I would probably even just figure that into the price of the truck because chances are the stock one will either slip or make a godawful noise when you shut the truck off. They do also wheelhop worse than the autos in my experience, that may only be my truck I don't know. But I wouldn't trade my truck for anything! :thumb: I used to have a video of my truck driving up this crazy steep dirt hill in 4lo first gear. I hung my feet out the window and idled it all the way up, it was a good 20-30* slope probably. But I can't find the video. You've got an amazing gear selection in them all the way from the granny first gear where you go about 5mph to 6od where I can cruise at 60mph turning 1450-1500 rpm

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
thanx guys yeah i love my 01 but just really hateing on the autos now my options are my uncle has a like a 06 dodge 4 dr dually with a six speed but its a work truck crank windows and i dont have a use for a dually but its a super nice truck and i dont think its broke 100k yet

but im just not a fan of cummins there nice but i still love the v8 diesel sound and the genral awesomeness of the dmax plus i getting to know the in and out of a dmax where if i get a cummins i will have to relearn hum what to do wonder if anybody on here would want my 2wd rclb lb7

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
thanx guys yeah i love my 01 but just really hateing on the autos now my options are my uncle has a like a 06 dodge 4 dr dually with a six speed but its a work truck crank windows and i dont have a use for a dually but its a super nice truck and i dont think its broke 100k yet

but im just not a fan of cummins there nice but i still love the v8 diesel sound and the genral awesomeness of the dmax plus i getting to know the in and out of a dmax where if i get a cummins i will have to relearn hum what to do wonder if anybody on here would want my 2wd rclb lb7

how much would you want for your truck? Im kinda looking for a second vehicle if the price is right

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
well haha idk man cuz i told my girlfriend i was thinking about selling it to get a zf6 and she said she would take over payments (yeah i still owe money on it only had the truck for like 6 months) but we will see what happnes man im still debateing on what i want to do

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
I've had my 01 since august and Freaking love it!!!!! Well worth the 4 year wait to find the right truck! It has been hooked to a trailer constantly pulls like none other and as far as I know the only thing done is exhaust.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
I love people's response when I say it's a stick shift chevy. Been asked about it several times when I'm loading feed at tractor supply and someone notices the shifter. even gas rigs are hard to find with a shifter in my area. But don't lose hope you just have to be willing to look and do a bit of leg work. But it was well worth the wait.:thumb:

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
I've had both the Allison and now a zf6..I don't really like it here in Cali because of the stop and go traffic or sitting in traffic and barely moving but back home or out on some real roads it's awesome, wouldn't ever go back to the Allison if I don't have to!!

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah well i have had lots of autos and there great but man there is no better feeling like shifting gears and yeah in the city they suck but i live in the middle of no where so a stick would be awesome plus i have had so many autos its nice to change up

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
go to diesel place in the zf-6 section. they have a truck locater thread thats always updated.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
thanx guys will check it out and i would love to find a zf6 ext cab in that awesome blue color i wonder why more of them didnt come in the color i have a 4 dr and a regular cab so time for a extended cab lol but we will see what i find

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I think theyre scarse everywhere. most people have never even seen one, they flip over mine all the time lol

X2, I'll never forget when my girlfriends brother first saw my truck. He was looking at it then he opened the door and saw the giant shifter. His eyes got big and he said no way! That things a 5 speed?? I said nope, granny low 6 speed. He just shook his head and said he hated my guts :rofl: :rofl: I didn't even know they existed till I saw my truck

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone