Think your job sucks?

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
WOW, after watching that my palms are sweaty! I dont do well cleaning gutters on a 3 story condo even... I wonder if they wear a parachute incase they

warpspeed

Shadetree
Feb 10, 2012
Ohio
I hope they parachute off.... Thatd save 2 hours of climbing down. I wonder how often the bulbs go out

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
That's been posted before and it gives me the creeps watching it. I have a hard time watching it to be honest with you! Scary ass shit!

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I climb for a living and am often swinging from the tops of tree's or hanging from the ball of a crane getting set in positions that require the use of a crane for technical tree removals.. That said it surprises me that OSHA allows FREE climbing a 1700' tower with NO safties in place :confused: How hard would it have been in the initial design to incorporate a slide rail on the tower so the climber stays tied in at all times:rolleyes: According to ANSI/OSHA standards I can Not even tie directly into the ball of a crane to ride the hook (so to speak) into position and they let these guys free climb towers 16 times the height :confused: I "Heard" that these guys get paid pretty good and that they dont just change bulbs that blow but have contracts to change them after XX amount of hr's/days. I always thought about looking into tower maintenance for side money since its right up my alley with heights but I'll be dammed if I'm not safetied in at those heights ;):)

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
and that they dont just change bulbs that blow but have contracts to change them after XX amount of hr's/days.

That makes sense. Bad idea to change a light meant to warn aircraft of an obstacle after it has burned out.

No way in hell I would sign up for that job. No way, no how. I don't like being on a house roof. :baby:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I climb for a living and am often swinging from the tops of tree's or hanging from the ball of a crane getting set in positions that require the use of a crane for technical tree removals.. That said it surprises me that OSHA allows FREE climbing a 1700' tower with NO safties in place :confused: How hard would it have been in the initial design to incorporate a slide rail on the tower so the climber stays tied in at all times:rolleyes: According to ANSI/OSHA standards I can Not even tie directly into the ball of a crane to ride the hook (so to speak) into position and they let these guys free climb towers 16 times the height :confused: I "Heard" that these guys get paid pretty good and that they dont just change bulbs that blow but have contracts to change them after XX amount of hr's/days. I always thought about looking into tower maintenance for side money since its right up my alley with heights but I'll be dammed if I'm not safetied in at those heights ;):)

My sentiments exactly! How OSHA allows that free climb amazes me. Regardless of the climbers experience shit happens. Any slip ,hand foot bird crap dew gust of wind etc etc etc he's gone! There is no second chance!

Takes to much time to use some type of safety tether? I'll tell you what he'd be dead a lot longer then the climb with a safety rope.

They could have had rings welded or even a permanent cable with a sliding catch like cliff or rock climbers use. Sounds simple enough to me.