The $20 LB7 Injector Cup Tool

Rick S

Oct 13, 2011
Glen Burnie
I have a few of these. PM me if anyone looking for one, I made mine with a copper spacer cause it's softer then metal and they work great I was able to take all 8 of my mine out with the heads in the truck.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good morning,

Well this weekend I have been to some hardware stores and at the same time tried to look for this as I will need it. I couldn't find a 3/4 anchor at either Home Depot or Rona. Closest I found was a 5/8 anchor which was 6" long. Would 6" be too short? Would 5/8 be too small given it's 1/8 smaller? Either way I will go visit Lowes when I have a chance and take a look there. Another option is to visit a fastener store which should be able to get me this.

Thanks in advance!

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Went to a fastener store but no luck! Where can I buy it online... No time for shopping around like that.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
If the heads are off, flip it over and use one of the stock head bolts and give it a gentle tap. It's the perfect size. ;)

Obviously this doesn't work on the motor. :)

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Heads are going to be off! So you are telling me I can re-use my cups after doing that? Or would that screw up the cups. I may have found some which would 50$ for 10 since I don't have a choice ordering that amount.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I have never noticed a mark on one from doing it. They don't take much to get out. Most people will say replace them all no matter what though.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Yes thank you works very nice I have now pulled two sets of cups with mine.
hardest thing for me to find was the right size pipe and I had to get the anchor at a fastner supply store. Hardware stores did not have it around my area.

obs_man

Mar 26, 2014
I could only find one 6.25 long can I cut a shorter pipe and make it work? I know thia ia an old post but cups still go bad...

SAVAGE77

Nov 20, 2009
I wanted to add some recent experience with this tool in the event that anyone is still trying to make them. A 7in anchor is not necessary. Most hardware supply stores only sell 3/4 anchors up to 5.5 inches long. This is plenty. As for the pipe, again most hardware supply stores don't sell short piping in 1/8in increments. What I did was make a 1 1/4in faucet down pipe that was 6in long. The sidewall on it is less that 1/16th making the clearances plentiful. I used a sleeve anchor and cut the sleeve down by at least 1in and cut the 6in down pipe to 4 inches. The column load of the pipe doesn't require the thickness to be very large, though it did crumble a bit, only because the cup was beat into the head which of course ruined the head. I will supply pictures once they're uploaded.

Billdog350

Nov 5, 2008
Portland, CT
Just finished a complete head gasket install, injector replacement, top end gasket replacement, ARP stud install, and turbo rebuild project on my 2003 Duramax and I still have a hydrolocking issue and occasional puffs of white smoke upon restart so I am convinced I need injector cups re-sealed. Obviously I should have re-sealed these when the head was off but I saw posts from people saying not to touch them if they don't seem bad. Of course yanking the heads drops coolant into the cylinders so no way to know which cyl was bad before.

I will be trying to make this tool unless someone has one I can borrow. What a PITA to do but I'm glad people posted this up so I can make it up and save $200!

rayount23

May 8, 2013
OK, so I am a little lost with the pipe size and type. When I call around for a pipe material, the 1 1/4" pipe has an outside diameter of 1.669" and an interior of 1.375". This is schedule 40 steel pipe. Any thin wall conduit or EMT is not large enough in the 1 1/4" size. Where did you get the pipe and what type and schedule thickness is it?

Thanks for your help.:(

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Go to ACE hardware and look in the section with bathroom sink drain pipes. There should be a chrome looking 1 1/4 pipe that works perfectly.

The ace part# 4225702 (1 1/4 x 6 sink tailpiece)

or THIS CLICK ME From Amazon

Last edited:

Billdog350

Nov 5, 2008
Portland, CT
I have an update for this post for guys having trouble finding the anchor. I searched high and low at Home Depot, Lowes, local hardware stores, etc and couldn't find a large enough anchor for the cup...HOWEVER...I did modify the design listed here and made it work MINT.

• Get a normal 3/4 concrete lag anchor, then get the anchor listed in the beginning of this thread, I used a 4" drop in anchor and took the outer expansion piece off of it. Now I have a tapered end threaded bolt.
  • Put that tapered anchor bolt through the lag anchor, then stack the right sized washer that covers the lag anchor at the opposite end.
  • Cut off a piece about 1.5" long from the drop in anchor outer sleeve that you removed and put another washer and nut on top of it, after you install it on the bolt.
  • Lastly, get a piece of 1.5" copper pipe union, the diameter is perfect to fit between the valve springs and allow the cup to fit in it. and you'll need a large fender washer to fit over the top of the copper pipe.
You will be able to tighten the first nut until snug (do not overtighten or you'll screw up the lag anchor or your injector cup), then install the copper pipe and center it on the injector cup, and then the washer, nut and then you tighten the top nut until the cup pops out. It worked perfectly for me for all 4 of the cups that I did. Didn't slip out once. Didn't mark up the injector cup at all.

Attachments

• IMG_6949.JPG
    IMG_6949.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6932.JPG
    IMG_6932.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 75

chuckdiesel

Dec 16, 2015
Billdog350 thanks for the updated version!

Could you post more detailed pics of the revised design? I kinda understand but I'm having trouble find 3/5" pieces