Tech2 efi live scanner?

rrrayman22

Aug 8, 2016
Hey guys! Im new to the diesel world, so any help is greatly appreciated. A few months back i purchased an 05 3500, with LLY. 238,xxx on the clock. 2 weeks ago i was on the highway and heard a clicking from under the hood, and a ton of smoke. Upon investigation and conversation with my cousin (hes a duramax guru) we believe it to be an injector. I had another friend scan it, he said number 4 and 7. I replaced both of them, same issue. So i then took 4 and replaced it with 3, same issue. Then i took 3 and replaced 5, same issue. I figured musical injectors might help me widdle it down but no luck. I know my way around a gas motor, and truthfully it sounds like a rocker/pushrod to me, but its spuradic ticking, and not consistant. Is there anyone local to charlotte NC, that would have a tech2 or efi live scanner? Ill give 50 bucks and supply beer if anyone can help out!!! Thanks for your time guys.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I'm in Mt. Pleasant and have a tech 2 but it sounds like a classic case of lly injector harness issues. The pins become loose in the connectors and either need to be replaced or ice picked. Search "ice pick method" for more info. Pm me if you want to get up and check it out

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
I am the cousin by the way and I suggested someone to scan the truck to see what's up. I was down there for the 4th scanned the truck and installed kory's tuning, noticed one injector coming out of range. The guy that scanned the truck for my cousin said to do all new injectors, if someone local is in the area it would be greatly appreciated so I can get some accurate info.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Figured I would update this, ended up going to Rays house last week and looked over his truck. After first hearing it, it immediately sounded like something was broken in the valvetrain area. Hooked the scanner up anyways and it didn't tell us anything.
Well I get a text from him last night....:eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 29396.jpg
    29396.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 132

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
:roflmao: there was at one point! Best I can figure is the piston cracked when he was on the road then just disintegrated the more it was driven.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
He's the 3rd owner and he had a superchip on it when he first bought it. Been stock for the last few months till PPEI tunes last week but too little too late.