tdi exhaust ?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I'm reading on the tdi forum about straight piping the wifes car:D.
SHHHHHHHH, dont tell her. Its a surprise:woott:

Theres more posts about the legalities of touching the exhaust system then if it'll work.

Another member here stopped by with an 02(I think) straight piped and it sounded like a baby dmax, sweet:woott:

So, we have an 09 tdi jetta. Anyone know how far up the exhaust I can straight pipe without throwing codes?:D

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
I'd imagine up til the DPF, so one resonator/muffler in front of the rear bumper, one muffler towards the middle of the exhaust and the Cat I believe right after the DPF (I'm assuming these still have the cat like my gf's 06). I straight piped her car entirely and it never threw a code on the stock tune. Yours has the DPF though so i doubt it sounds any different at all until it's gone. The cat delete alone is what made the biggest whistle gain in her car.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
You can straight pipe the CR TDI up to the DPF without codes, but it won't help measurable performance in the least. It will just be louder and not much at that. Same with the aftermarket intakes. No CR TDI has shown any appreciable improvements in performance or mileage after installing an aftermarket intake or exhaust in real world driving. Some claim improved dyno numbers (with the hood open) but that's not real world. Most aftermarket intakes are just like the ones for the Duramax and allow more hot underhood air in. Banks had a prototype intake that looked promising, but like most of their product innovations, it's only for Gale's person vehicle and/or it will cost a fortune when it is actually released.

I have looked extensively at my 09's intake and it looks like a really good design. I believe there is an opening to the engine side that could be blocked off to keep underhood air out.

The real gains to be had on the CR TDI are with a DPF delete/downpipe. Not easy to come by in the states but in Europe they are seeing some gains by getting rid of the DPF, in both power and mileage. That will also require a tune. I recommend Rocket Chip if you want to explore this route. He is about the best domestic tuner out there for any TDI. Also, I've seen a few PnP boxes for the CR's that would act just like the boxes for the trucks. It's a cheaper alternative and is undetectable by the dealer.

That being said, if you want the intake and exhaust for straight cool factor, then you will get to hear a bit more turbo and the roar of that 140hp monster when you push the go pedal.

I would love to go all out on my car, but since I've heard of quite a few injector pump disasters and VW being picky about fixing them. I'm gong to wait until the 50k is expired, then weigh my options.

Here is a link to a CR downpipe/DPF delete.
http://performance-diesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=6&zenid=5d6c249adf4ed997a9769d8bc2691fec

Last edited:

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I need to do my wifes 09 jetta. It only gets 35 miles a gallon and that sucks. A intake and exhaust should help out with the miliage

I thought the same thing about my wife's 09. It was always getting around 35 mpg's and I was starting to get bummed out. Then I drove it for a day and put about 350 miles on it. Guess what 47 mpg! :roflmao:

The women folk just can't keep their foot out of it.

Also, mine has about 23k miles and I've noticed the mileage getting steadily better as the miles rack up. It took my truck until after 50k before the mileage peaked so I'm hope the same for this car.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
That's funny. Haven't tested a full tank on ours, but when the wife had a 2002 trailblazer I could get 10mpg better. She got a serious lead foot. Haha

It seems you get shut down for talking dpf delete over there, not for sure as I've just been doing more reading than posting.

Can you do any tuning with vag-com (like efi) or is it more for diagnostic stuff?

We're at 33K now, trying to get this stuff figured out so I'm ready when the warranty is up :)

buildingup

Jan 1, 2010
Washington, Mi
My brother has a 10 and he is looking at removing the DPF and everything in the future. Believe with tuning and 2.5" full exhaust said the cheapest he could get it was about 2k. This is of course with tuning. He's also looking at doing a turbo and some other mods.

I wouldn't call the 02 Jetta a baby Dmax but it does have a unique purr to it.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Mini dmax?

You don't know anything about the vagcom do you?

Its just like you said when you stopped by. Its all hush hush on the tdi forum, tuning + exhaust with dpf delete. Read one thread that was more people screaming about how you're stealing from the government for taking the tax credit for low emmisions on an 09 and then pulling it off. Guess what, we didn't qualify for the credit. :)

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
You have to remember that most of the people on tdiclub are hippies not diesel enthusiast. I mean the only car worse for hippies is probably the prius. It's funny that on all the diesel truck forums dpf delete is a daily subject but on the tdi forum its like you're talking about raping children.

I'm not sure if vag-com will do it or not. You could likely block the code but not stop the re-gen cycles. It would be best to go with a mark malone or rocket chip tune, that way you can take advantage of the deleted dpf with more power too.

Keep us updated on what you do and if the deleted dpf really does help.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Please do keep us updated. I want to rip that pos dpf off my wife's '10 tdi the day its out of warranty.

You guys do realize that the dpf's soot loading has to be watched closely (checked every 5-10k) after 100k or 120k, then replaced when it gets to capacity, right? Worthless pos, imo.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Buildingup s jetta sounds nice straight piped. Don't know about an 06

Keep in mind we have over 15k to go before warranty is up. And even then it'll be a touchy situation since its the wifes car. If she wants a new car by then, I'm keeping this one for my beater car :). If she's still happy with it, we might be waiting even longer. I think the extended the trans warranty to 100k on ours.
If I can sneak it away this week I'll get it on a lift and see about a dpf back straight pipe

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Vag-Com is purely diagnostics, but worth the money IMO.

My 2000 sounds pretty with the straightpipe. Lots of turbo sound. No hair dryer.

Did the resitor mod to it and it really hauled ass, but it shuddered too much for my liking so i unhooked it.

Now its awaiting a clutch, and has been for the past couple months. South Bend is sitting on my shelf, just cant seem to find time to get it on the lift.

Good luck:thumb:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
What did I read about guys programming their windows to roll down right before the got out of work, using vagcom. Or sunroof to open etc. Thought I read something about it.

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Vag-Com is purely diagnostics, but worth the money IMO.

X2...
Only thing you can really "tune" engine wise with it is the EGR duty cycle, but it throws a code if you shut if off.

What did I read about guys programming their windows to roll down right before the got out of work, using vagcom. Or sunroof to open etc. Thought I read something about it.

Yeah with VCDS you can program the windows to roll down with clicks from the fob. Doesn't do anything with the sunroof though, at least not on an '06 pkg 2

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
I just sold my 02 an bought an 06! How do they sound with no muffler?

Nasty :D

gf's (I'm filming, can you tell she has a leadfoot?):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c1OpCDT4KXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's with the stock tune and it still smokes!