tap shifter with your 6 speed conversion

2trout

Mar 14, 2012
Cameron MT
www.2trout.com
Hi,

I got an '02 2500HD with your 6 speed conversion, will your tap shifter kit work ok with that conversion and do I need to have my TCM re programmed, thanks for your advise.

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
I also put a new 6 speed into my 05 LLY and wonder if the tap shifter will work. Also, is there some kind of gear & lockup indicator? Edge insight doesn't tell me what gear I'm in. Be nice to know.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
From their website.

*NOTE: 01-02 models will require TCM Re-Flash to enable overdrive lock-out and proper function.

Also I believe other vendors sell this product here perhaps they will answer your question and get your business.

2trout

Mar 14, 2012
Cameron MT
www.2trout.com
From their website.

*NOTE: 01-02 models will require TCM Re-Flash to enable overdrive lock-out and proper function.

Also I believe other vendors sell this product here perhaps they will answer your question and get your business.

OK, should have done this in the first place I guess, just spoke with SunCoast, and yes, it will work with the 6 speed conversion, one can switch from 6th to 5th to 4th etc and back up again, when in tow/haul mode 6th gear will not work, which is what happens right now anyway, the only thing is since the 01/02 does not have overdrive cut out, this function of course will not work, and the TCM will not require re flashing. SO, I guess I will go ahead and get this kit!
As far as indication is concerned, this kit does not come with an additional display, however, once you switch from 5th to 4th etc., apparently this will show on your existing dash display, I guess time will tell once I've installed mine.

Last edited:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Check out the demo video I posted. It shows how the dash indicators work when changing gears.

Sent from my iPhone.

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Installed the tap shifter today. Awesome! Far better than the Suncoast program. Thank God it's in now. This should be standard for 5-6 conversion.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
OK, should have done this in the first place I guess, just spoke with SunCoast, and yes, it will work with the 6 speed conversion, one can switch from 6th to 5th to 4th etc and back up again, when in tow/haul mode 6th gear will not work, which is what happens right now anyway, the only thing is since the 01/02 does not have overdrive cut out, this function of course will not work, and the TCM will not require re flashing. SO, I guess I will go ahead and get this kit!
As far as indication is concerned, this kit does not come with an additional display, however, once you switch from 5th to 4th etc., apparently this will show on your existing dash display, I guess time will tell once I've installed mine.

01-02 DO have OD/LO capability, but 01 and many 02's require a reflash to enable it. 01-02 OD/LO is done via a hard wired momentary switch VS holding the tow/haul button down like 03-05. And I don't think the tapshift will work with selecting 6th. There was a post awhile back on somebody else who did it, but I don't remember all of the details on it.