Tap-Shifter Help!

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have the tap-shifter in an so far so good.

But I need the instruction how to activate and program sled pulling mode! I have called, emailed, and PM Ben to no avail and pulling season is closing fast!

Does anyone have a document showing how to set it up?

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I bought the tap-shifter that has "sled pulling" mode. This will allow you to start in whatever gear you want and also set a top gear you can't go past.

IE start in 3rd and max in 4th gear and no matter how many times you pushed "+" it wouldn't go past 4th gear and not below 3rd.

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
You still have to have a tcm with a 3rd gear start.....The tapshifter won't do that by itself. You can give me a call at the shop if you have any questions.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hey Eric- Im so sorry! I kept forgetting to send you these instructions...totally my mistake. Ive been busier than hell here with the season heating up and it kept slipping my mind.

Anyway.....try this out.

Start with the key/ignition OFF

press and hold the "+" button on the shifter

with the button held, turn the key ON.

the display will then show "P" and "S" (for Program Sled)

once the display shows "P" "S"...release the + button on the shifter

within a couple seconds, the display will show "d". The "d" means "drive"...meaning there is no sled-pull gear limit.

To change the limit to 4, 3, 2, or 1...continue below

press the "+" button on the shifter (you dont have to hold it, just press it normally)

the display will change to "2". What this means is that you have now selected 2nd gear as the top-most gear that it will allow you to shift to when you enter sled-pull mode.

Press the "+" button on the shifter again and then the display will change to 3, indicating that 3rd gear is now the top-most gear programmed.

Press the "+" button again and the display will change to "4", indicating 4th gear.

If you press the button one more time (or if you accidentally passed which gear you want to program in), the module will "loop" back around to "drive".

Once you have it showing the proper number/setting of which gear you want it to limit to, just turn the ignition OFF, wait 10 seconds, and turn the ignition on again.

To check your settings, start the truck, put it in drive, and then press/hold the "-" button to enter tap-shift mode. Once its in tap-shift mode, tap down to first gear "1" on the display.

Once you are in 1st gear, press and hold the "-" button until the display shows "S" "L" "E" "D". This indicates sled-pull mode is active. It will start in "1st gear". (say you programmed 3rd gear as top gear) Now tap-up and it will go to "2nd gear"...now tap-up again and it will go up to "3rd gear"....now tap-up again and the display should stay in 3rd gear and not go to 4th (because you programmed 3rd as your top gear).

to exit sled-pull mode, tap-down to "1"...then press and hold the "-" button for a couple seconds until the display shows "S" "L" "E" "D" again, and then the tap-shift will return to normal operation.

Ben