Symptoms of water in fuel ?????

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Idles fine, drives fine until a little fuel is given, cuts out in cruise, fuel pressure gauge bounces, rail pressure gauge is erratic under acceleration, and it appears there may be water droplets when I drained the fass water seperator. What to do?

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
When mine had that issue with mine sometimes it ran great other times it would sputter and buck. All power would drop and she would smoke pretty bad, kind of a greyish white smoke. A few seconds later it would clear up run fine and then start again.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Drain your tank, change all filters, run an additive that claims to dispense water, and for me I ran a piss load of 2 stroke oil a quart to 5 gallons of fuel to lube my injectors

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
Water in the fuel will kill LLY injectors in quick order. Not just a few drops in the filter. I had one that I had to put 6 new injectors because of water.

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
Water in the fuel will kill LLY injectors in quick order. Not just a few drops in the filter. I had one that I had to put 6 new injectors because of water.

Not necessarily true. My truck had quite a bit of water in the transfer tank that got mixed throughout. I had to drive it for a while to get to the next city so i could drain it. After draining both tanks and changing filters it still had water in the lines. Roughly 20-25 minutes of driving finally flushed it. 40k miles later on the same stock injectors they still have great balance rates.

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
Not necessarily true. My truck had quite a bit of water in the transfer tank that got mixed throughout. I had to drive it for a while to get to the next city so i could drain it. After draining both tanks and changing filters it still had water in the lines. Roughly 20-25 minutes of driving finally flushed it. 40k miles later on the same stock injectors they still have great balance rates.

Wish I could say that for my buddies truck. First injector started acting up within 20 miles of filling up. They next 2 right after the first was replaced and the last 3 shortly after. 3-4 filter changes also and ended up dropping the tank and cleaning it out.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
2 pints of Sea Foam, 1 pint of Diesel Kleen (Grey bottle) and a quart of 2 Stroke (walmart brand), probably drained 3 or 4 gallons fuel out of Fass water seperator. Down to 1/4 tank of fuel now and seems to have cleared up, balance rates never did get bad. New Fass filter going on later this week, Been driving around on a 10 micron Fass filter since I deleted the factory filter head assembly, going back with a 3 micron.

Never got a code, never smoked, just ran bad, did have an instance where it limited to 2000 rpms. It always started right up too.

kodywillkomm

Jan 13, 2015
Im not sure if I had bad fuel or water in the fuel I have a 2005 duramax I did the cat adapter on it when I did my head gaskets and y bridge but I went to Missouri to pick up a car for a buddy of mine and we made it down there no problems and topped off truck which was at half and drove aways stopped for food and like 20 miles after the food truck threw 2 codes one I don't remember and one was for Injector 3... I think the first one had something to do with Injector control mod... I would clear the codes with the truck off and once I got above 30 would do the same it misfired bad soo I limped it to a gas station when 6.4 codes were cleared called a few ppl and they thought I had water in fuel I threw some liquid heat in it let it idle for like a hr and she was good and I drove it home the 4 hrs left but idk if that was for sure the problem