Switching to Opti-Lube XPD

1978steven

USMC
Nov 3, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
I run Power Service grey bottle every tank full although the stuff seems to do what it's intended to do, but I'm looking to switch to Opti-Lube XPD since it's was rated higher on the lubricity study. The PS seems to really help with the every day injector clatter and gets me pretty good mpg's for daily driving. I have found Opti-Lube XPD on Amazon in gallons or 8oz bottles; I was trying to go away from having to always measure out the prescribed amount of additive all the time so leaning towards the 8oz bottles and the Opti-Box to have a spill proof place for them behind the back seat and have them with me for each fill up. My question for those that use Opti-Lube is the optimal mix ratio in the study was 13oz per 26 gallon but each 8oz bottle says it treats up to 32 gallons, am I missing something here? The study was dated 2007, has Opti-Lube changed their formula so that an 8oz bottle now does what 13oz did back then? Any advice is helpful.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I haven't gotten any since there new bottle design, but I liked the Optilube much better than the Power service, never really noticed anything with PS.

I like stanadyne better than optilube now, was finally able to find it local and tried it. Runs much smoother than the power service, and a bit better than optilube.

This is based on the Bio fuel we have here in IL.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I get it direct from OptiLube in 5 gal buckets and use the 8oz bottles filled a little short. So I am doing about 6-7oz per fill that is usually around 16 gallons. Could be 10, or could be over 20. I don't sweat the exact ratio too much since I am treating in the "heavier" end of the ratios mentioned. I also don't worry about the best bottle for the truck, mine stays in the garage and I toss it in when I am headed for fuel. For road trips, the 8oz bottles and even an old PS bottle get filled and go in the tool box.

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
OptiLube is a good product. I just wish it was sold in stores. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the warm months & Stanadyne PF in the cold months.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I bought an AD 165 from ATP when they were offering an Optilube 6 pack as a teaser. I've always used DK or Stanadyne with success, but since I tried my first tank with Optilube, injectors are very noticeably quieter. The 8 oz bottles fit nicely in Zip quart sized bags, I didn't see a need for the extra ~$11 for the case. Now I just need to find the time to install the lift pump.....