Swapping Dmax into vehicles - Need wiring Info/Help

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
Is there any wiring info out there on what wires are needed and not to swap a Dmax into another vehicle. I am about to the point of doing the wiring on the LB7 into the TBSS project (in repower section if you haven't seen it) i'm working on and I need to figure out what I am going to need to make this work properly like I want. I am going to try to reuse the gauges in the donor truck as its a unique dash layout and swapping the donor truck gauges isn't a possibility. Mainly I need to know what to get wired up to key this on, engage starter, use OBD port to load tuning etc. Can anyone here help me or point me to the right place for some of this info. I looked around and didn't really see what I was looking for.

TIA :thumb:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
And for reference, I have the LB7 engine and trans harness as well as the computers needed, Just trying to marry the original harness with whats needed from the LB7/Allison setup so itll be turn key as close to OEM as I can get it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I want to say the 02-up TBs used the newer electrical architecture similar to our 03-07 trucks, didnt they? Couldve sworn they were a year ahead.

I thought Matt was using an LBZ in his swap, too?

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
The TBSS is an 07, the LB7 is from an 01, but my buddy was telling me if I swap a small portion of the harness, it should match up to the later years? What should I find out to move along in this process?

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I'm sure someone else will chime that may have better answers then me, but more then likely you will need an 03/04 truck side AND engine harness. The 03/04 harness's should communicate with your existing 07 setup and plug right in. You may have to modify your fuel scaling in the ecm. Also you'll need to use an 03 an up oil pressure sensor as your 01 sensor will not work with an 04 harness.

I have a 04 truck side and engine harness, complete and uncut. The engine harness is a cali harness so you would end up with some extra emission plugs that can be removed. Also you would need to remove the tcm harness as you'll be using a standalone harness for your tranny.

If you end up needing one lmk.

Rick

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I'm sure someone else will chime that may have better answers then me, but more then likely you will need an 03/04 truck side AND engine harness. The 03/04 harness's should communicate with your existing 07 setup and plug right in. You may have to modify your fuel scaling in the ecm. Also you'll need to use an 03 an up oil pressure sensor as your 01 sensor will not work with an 04 harness.

I have a 04 truck side and engine harness, complete and uncut. The engine harness is a cali harness so you would end up with some extra emission plugs that can be removed. Also you would need to remove the tcm harness as you'll be using a standalone harness for your tranny.

If you end up needing one lmk.

Rick
Thats what needs changed, the oil pressur portion of the harness, other than that I was already told that the harness will work in this truck by someone thats done a bunch of swaps....he was going to help me with wiring but hes always soo busy I need to just figure this out on my own if I want to get it done timely, thats why I made this post here. I have the Whole engine and trans harness for this setup here. I just need to marry the harness in the TBSS with this harness at the fuse block and related area. Looks like the pugs are the same, I just need to figure out the pinout and whats needed and whats not as well as what needs to move around.

Hopefully this makes sense. This is what I know up to this point....If I had the info to get the wiring done, I could literally have this thing running in a week.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I used alldatadiy.com to wire up my street rod for standalone. I didn't have to integrate dash and all that, but it did have all the pinouts and wiring diagrams for the engine and body harness. You just have to select the year of the Dmax harness you're using and probably have a 2nd subscription for the year of TBSS it's going in to get the wiring diagrams/pinouts for it. It'll cost you a few bucks for the subscription but it was invaluable to me when I was doing my harness.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Thats what needs changed, the oil pressur portion of the harness, other than that I was already told that the harness will work in this truck by someone thats done a bunch of swaps....he was going to help me with wiring but hes always soo busy I need to just figure this out on my own if I want to get it done timely, thats why I made this post here. I have the Whole engine and trans harness for this setup here. I just need to marry the harness in the TBSS with this harness at the fuse block and related area. Looks like the pugs are the same, I just need to figure out the pinout and whats needed and whats not as well as what needs to move around.

Hopefully this makes sense. This is what I know up to this point....If I had the info to get the wiring done, I could literally have this thing running in a week.

The way communication happens between the engine and the rest of the vehicle changed in 03 for the duramax........... 01-02 are the same, 03 and up and different. I'm pretty sure being that your truck is an 07 it has the later communication as the 03 and later duramax. If your duramax harness (engine and truckside) is an 01-02, it will not work......... even if the plugs are the same...... bell connectors, Black rectangular plug that goes to the fuse block........... and all the other little ones under the fuse block. They will physically connect to one another 01 and any duramax, but as far as working they wont.

If you already have an 03 and up duramax engine harness and truckside harness, then yes.......... the only thing that needs to change on your engine is the oil pressure sensor. As far as I know.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
The way communication happens between the engine and the rest of the vehicle changed in 03 for the duramax........... 01-02 are the same, 03 and up and different. I'm pretty sure being that your truck is an 07 it has the later communication as the 03 and later duramax. If your duramax harness (engine and truckside) is an 01-02, it will not work......... even if the plugs are the same...... bell connectors, Black rectangular plug that goes to the fuse block........... and all the other little ones under the fuse block. They will physically connect to one another 01 and any duramax, but as far as working they wont.

If you already have an 03 and up duramax engine harness and truckside harness, then yes.......... the only thing that needs to change on your engine is the oil pressure sensor. As far as I know.
Ill see what I am going to use, but if it needs to be an 03 Ill get what I need here.

I considered alldata as well.....I am sure I can come up with a login for alldata but was hoping someone better wit this could at least assist a bit with some "Needed" Info to get me going in the right direction....no point in doing all the research from scratch if someone can save me a lot of things that will apply no matter what vehicle this is going to...That was my thought anyway.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
if your just looking stand alone, its pretty much the same as an LS motor(or any gm product). pink wires are ignition, orange wires battery, black ground, send crank voltage strait to starter and it will run.

2 subscrtiptions to all data and you would have it sorted out in an hour... atleast to make it run. integrating it to the TBSS will take abit more time. it will be the best money spent on this project

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
if your just looking stand alone, its pretty much the same as an LS motor(or any gm product). pink wires are ignition, orange wires battery, black ground, send crank voltage strait to starter and it will run.

2 subscrtiptions to all data and you would have it sorted out in an hour... atleast to make it run. integrating it to the TBSS will take abit more time. it will be the best money spent on this project

I just checked...I have access to alldatapro.....SO Ill start piecing it together this coming week once I figure out the navigation on the alldata site. :thumb:

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
So I got schooled a bit starting this process finally. Were are going to use an 03-04 LB7 Powertrain harness with the new oil pressure sensor and sub harness. I still have to figure out the repinning, and that site I have to learn to navigate as I couldnt seem to find what I wanted as far as wiring diagrams. I know they are there once I figure it out. I need a local buddy that knows his way around this stuff...lol

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
If you cant figure it out, or want to just avoid the headache, Ben Tyler has been building custom swap harnesses for the Dmax for a while now. He can get you a complete harness and if i remember correctly hes using all automotive grade wiring and OEM connectors.

The photos I've seen of his complete harnesses look OEM.

MattKatz

Custom Junkie
May 27, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
www.facebook.com
NAh, I appreciate it.....I have the ability to build my own stuff as I always havem I am just having to reference this ALLDATA which Ive never used before for schematics, and once I figure out how the dang sites laid out I should be able to get it all figured out. Im a Building automation and Controls guy by trade...so wiring is just kind of what I do....But dont get me wrong, I take pointers from anyone in the know as theres always tips and tricks on every platform, and the duramax platform has taken me to school on a few things for sure along this project.