Swapping a used built trans worth it?

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
I have the opportunity to get a trans that was built by Scott at SDP. I just have to swap it out of my buddies truck and swap my stock one into his. The trans has about 40,000 on it, no racing, just towing a 6,000 lb boat and occasionally driving like a dick on Rob's tunes. The donor truck is an '01, my truck is an '04.5 LLY. Evan got me squared away on what I have to do to make the trans work in my truck, so I'm not worried about that. And my buddy doesn't want any cash for the deal, I just have to do the work.

After doing hours and hours of searching, I'm starting to second guess myself. Is it worth it to swap these, or should I just save and have a fresh build done to mine when I can afford it?

Also, I have an Allison dealer about two miles from my house, is it worth it to have them do a relearn on my truck, or should I have the GM dealer do it?

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
I drove the truck today, it holds power just fine. I know its an awesome deal, but you know how hours of forum reading goes.... your brand new truck needs a motor after a while. I just needed someone else to tell me it's all going to be okay. I can do the swap at my uncles shop, two lifts right next to each other. I'm going to order Mike L's springs tomorrow, I'm excited to see how it drives with those in it.

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
Another question, what sort of fluid should I use? I know it calls for dex/merc, but should I run Transsynd or something like that? I'm doing both filters while it's apart for the valve body/internal harness swap.

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
I'm well accustomed to the snow ball and the hill. I've only owned the truck since the middle of October and it was bone stock when I bought it.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
benStillerDoIt.jpg

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Man I'm putting a suncoast in my truck next month it's ~5k installed if I had a buddy getting rid of his truck that had mods id be on it like white on rice. I mean you're basically only out your time if it shits the bed.

solidrunner

Oct 19, 2015
Seatac, WA
Man I'm putting a suncoast in my truck next month it's ~5k installed if I had a buddy getting rid of his truck that had mods id be on it like white on rice. I mean you're basically only out your time if it shits the bed.
That's how I'm going to justify it. Hopefully it will last a while, truck has no tuning right now, waiting till I get the head gaskets/studs done.