Allison 6sp: Suncoast "whirring" spoolup

My06duramax

Mar 16, 2013
Do you have a capped EGR pipe? Kind of sounds the way mine did when the bellow started blowing out

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
It's inconsistent but more often then none now. When spooling with brake on and accelerating on a high grade it does it for a second

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Probably gonna have Logan Lewis tear the trans apart in a few weeks for me to check it out.

Drock

Apr 20, 2015
Garrison ND
I kinda had the same noise. First i found my egr delete pipe was kinda loose coming off the intercooler. Tightened that up with no luck. When I did the 3794 I took my lb7 up pipe off and found one of the bellows on the up pipe had a very so slight crack in it. Replaced it with a new one and no more problem....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
No they don't. If a Torrington got that bad you would have shifting issues.
You still have to remember that noises can be tough to diagnose even when you have the truck at hand.

Same thing you told me when I called once lol

When I worked at the dealer, saw a guy replace the rear, then transfer case, only to find out the noise was coming from the rear planet being busted in a 4l60e and the noise traveling down the driveshaft so mike is 100% here.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I dont know why the weird stuff always happens to my truck, Havent seen the temps get up that warm again yet.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Yea mines typically 180 190 but 209 at an ambient 81 that day was just weird

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Well thats more comforting to know, however seeing that degree of temp for the somewhat cool ambient and the driving style i was doing was just a rarity for me. Do these new springs run warmer due to a pressure change or some sort of thing Mike?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well thats more comforting to know, however seeing that degree of temp for the somewhat cool ambient and the driving style i was doing was just a rarity for me. Do these new springs run warmer due to a pressure change or some sort of thing Mike?

The valve body and shift springs have nothing to do with temps. The pressure regulator spring can raise temps a little.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Bonestock, you referring to the Mike L cooler?.. I examined the downpipe and upipes closely lastnight and ubolted the downpipe as well and readjusted trying to find the weird noise. No luck yet. Thanks for the reply mike!

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
you sure it isn't your mind playing tricks with you? Alot of times if you look for a problem, when there's not one, your mind will hear things and make you believe there is a problem. Listening to your video it just sounds like the turbo winding up to me..