suncoast problems after last sled pull.

hpi_jeep

Oct 30, 2010
Friday night I hooked up, truck was fine before and during the pull.
when I drove home my truck was stuck in 3rd gear no tc lock.
I checked the codes and I had p0778, p0777, p0700
I cleared the codes and it went through all 5 gears. CEL came back on now I am only getting p0778 and it wont go away, truck is in 3rd gear no tc lockup still. (I assume it's in limp mode but i have no "shift range inhibited" on dic)
p0778 Pressure control solenoid B control circuit.
Any ideas what I am looking at?
Do the solenoids go bad?
What are the chances my converter is still ok?

My suncoast is 4years old, 45-50k miles on it, and has been hooked to sled 8-9 times. Fluid looks good still.
I know the saying "You have to pay to play" I just dont feel I have gotten my $$ out of my suncoast yet :mad:

Suncoast 4 installed by saint joe diesel.
truck is '03 stock except trans and hot tune

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Solenoids do go bad. Disconnect main harness connector at back of trans and see if you have atf leaking at the pins. Sounds like an electrical problem.

hpi_jeep

Oct 30, 2010
Yes I pulled the plug and the pins were wet, the side I unplugged had ATF in it Not much but when I let the plug hang a few drips did come out.

hpi_jeep

Oct 30, 2010
just an update. I called mike and he recommended I changed internal harness and check resistance on solenoids.
I did this today. Refilled trans, check engine light was still on and I was still in 3rd gear (limp mode) my v2 was at the house so I drove to my house got my v2, checked codes and got
p0763 (Shift Solenoid C Electrical)
p0847 (Tran Fluid Pres Sensor/Switch B Circ Lo)
p0875 (Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch D Circ)
cleared codes, CEL went off for a few seconds and came back. I checked codes and got
p0763 (Shift Solenoid C Electrical)
p0841 (Tran Fluid Pres Sensor/Switch A Circ Range/Perf)
Now when I put truck in gear it just says shift range inhibited in DIC. No movement at all.

when I dropped pan the fluid was dark but still red in color and did not smell burnt. I cleaned the pan and I did find peices of what appeared to be clutch material (not good) but not a ton of it.
I tried calling mike and missed him, he then tried returning the call and missed me. maybe he can steer me in the right direction, and i'll keep this thread updated with his reccomendations and my findings.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I had that issue. Had a fine piece of clutch material that was causing it to stick. Cleaned everything up and it worked fine. Still worries me cause I guess its not common to get fine pieces of alto clutches in oil. But have yet had a issue since.