Stumped!!! NEED HELP SOS!!!

05Duramax6.6

Mar 17, 2015
I have an '05 GMC 3500 Duramax 6.6, the truck has less than 200,000 miles and less than 3,000 hours. One day I was on my way home when the truck shut down (as if the key had been turned off) in the middle of the road! Whenever I turn the key to Start the truck all the gauges drop like it would when it would normally start, but it wouldn't crank. not a single noise. i tested the starter and it works fine. replaced both batteries and cleaned the terminals spotless! still no crank. however i can pull the relay in the fuse-box and we can jump the wire holes and the truck will crank. but not start. i'm really tired of having this 2 ton beast just sitting there mocking me... i need any help you guys can give me, a while back i replaced the water pump with a new one and i pinched a wire and the truck would crank, but not start. could that possibly be tied in with this butt load of headache???

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Sure seems like a connection issue. Positive the connections at the battery are good, even inside the rubber covers to the battery connections?

05Duramax6.6

Mar 17, 2015
Yes, everything is fine at the batteries. i even placed them in my tractor. and it fired right up with no problem

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
No crank is odd. It could be the ECU up and died. Do you know anyone with a diagnostics scanner or V2 that could try and connect to the ECU and read codes? That should at least tell you if the ECU is somewhat alive.

You say some wires were pinched before. Which wires, and were they repaired, or just twisted around until it worked again? (Hey, I don't judge, I've done that before)

05Duramax6.6

Mar 17, 2015
No crank is odd. It could be the ECU up and died. Do you know anyone with a diagnostics scanner or V2 that could try and connect to the ECU and read codes? That should at least tell you if the ECU is somewhat alive.

You say some wires were pinched before. Which wires, and were they repaired, or just twisted around until it worked again? (Hey, I don't judge, I've done that before)

They were properly repaired (soldered, heat shrinked) I'm going to see if i can post a video of what its doing

May 8, 2011
Check the relay for power with the key on 2 should have power on them and one will have constant ground to the starter which is the trigger wire the get someone to hold the key i the crank position and see if one of the other terminals turns to a ground also is it a 4or 5 pin relay???

ShredLordXx

May 13, 2015
Northern Ontario, Canada
The Starter wont turn at all? or does it just grumble and stop instantly. I had that problem when my TBC Batt fuse was corroded under the hood in the relay box. I replaced the fuse and miraculously the truck started again.

05Duramax6.6

Mar 17, 2015
i found a few blown fuses in both the driver side box and under the fuse, according to the panel they all tied in to the ignition. replaced all fuses and tried again. no luck:mad::confused:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I'm currently dealing with the same issue. No crank, no sounds, dash lights up, fuel gauge doesn't work, ABS light/service brake system is on and I have zero communication with the ECM. I'm starting to test at the ignition switch and working my way to the ECM. We have different ECMs, but the problem sounds very similar. I'll hopefully have time to mess with it this week and I'll post what I find out.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Try swapping ecms first for a known good one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk