Stuck in first

MarxModified

Sep 22, 2017
Chadds Ford, PA
New here so I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. On my way home today from school (about a 4hr drive) my transmission got stuck in 4th with a check engine light as I was doing 70mph. I was able to pull over, and reset the code (dumb me forgot to write down the number, but it had to do with a trans module). The truck started back up fine but when I put it in gear it wouldn't leave first. I pulled back over and let the truck sit for a good 20 mins and reset the same code. This time when I started it back up, it drove fine for about 5 miles until I came to a stop and it got stuck in 4th again. Once again I let the truck sit for about 20 mins and then it drove fine until I got to the stealership. I was previously told by a shop (about 2 months ago when I brought it in for a water pump) that my trans went into limp and that I would need a new one but then a day later it started working just fine until now. I also recall that about a year and a half ago that when I would tow through the mountains, my torque converter wouldn't lock and my trans would over heat. Could this all be an issue with the computer or do I need a new trans?

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
You have done real well to have the trans last , as you said towing in mountains , on those tires , PPEI tuned , 207 k mi ! You need to talk to a trans pro on this site soon !

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You're losing voltage to the TCM/Transmission. Check ignition switch ( not the tumbler ), ignition 0 fuse in the side panel fuse box, or one of the 3 pink wires under main fuse box left fender well.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
I'm not an expert like some of these guys but sounds like you might have tqc that bad and by this point if that's the case it might hav done damage to clutches. Do you run a tuner and what hp do you run it on? I imagine trans is all stock? Did it put you in a reduced power limp mode ?

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
I'm not an expert like some of these guys but sounds like you might have tqc that bad and by this point if that's the case it might hav done damage to clutches. Do you run a tuner and what hp do you run it on? I imagine trans is all stock? Did it put you in a reduced power limp mode ?

What brought you to this conclusion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
What brought you to this conclusion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I've had one go bad on me in another truck I had and the issue sounds similar to his. It destroyed clutches too. A bad tqc has all of those symptoms but no mechanic here just a personal experience.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Ya Mike idk the trans guy I use thought it was odd too like maybe my tq was a lemon. But ya that happened lol.