Strong Odor After Delete

jpimer

Nov 11, 2016
Delaware
So recently we did a delete delete package on two trucks (mine and friends). My truck is a 2013 Denali HD (LML) and the other was a 2010 LMM.

Done in Project:
EFI Live Tuned (Kory)
4" Straight Pipe (Turbo Back)
EGR Blocker Plates

When I start the truck in the morning or just while it is running in general, the exhaust smell is strong enough to choke a person. I do not get any odor in the cab but the smell outside is BAD.

Where this becomes a bigger problem is that when I let the truck warm up in the morning, the wife's car pulls in all the smell and now she wants to kill me on a daily basis.

I've heard people say putting in a high flow CAT from Magnaflow could help reduce the smell.

Looking to see if this is normal or if anything can be done.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
This^
I just put a cat on my lbz again and now it smells absolutely horrible. I think the egr delete has more to do with the smell. Just my observations

jpimer

Nov 11, 2016
Delaware
@Trojan366, that has been the short term fix is to point it away but if her car is running at the same time, her car just sucks in all the fumes. I've had to wait until she leaves in the morning to start mine which is annoying.

@DMAX_Slim, I have the 5 tunes from Kory. I have the smell on the Street tune as well as the Tow tune. Both have same strong odor.

If the Magnaflow CAT was a slip on and was not $350, I would give it a try but don't want to piss the cash away if it won't help.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Have you tried putting her car air inside on recirculate instead of fresh? I don't know the technical terms but I know my truck stinks up inside there if I have it on fresh. Just an idea.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
attachment.php

Good thing the EPA hasn't mandated that yet. Give it time.

jpimer

Nov 11, 2016
Delaware
I have also heard that people say the EGR delete/block is what causes the stronger smell. Any truth or opinions on it?

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Lol I just said that egr makes it smell worse. So unblock the egr or point your exhaust away from your wife's car and keep it on recirculate

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I have also heard that people say the EGR delete/block is what causes the stronger smell. Any truth or opinions on it?

EGR recirculates the exhaust back into the engine to recirculate it, that's what the R in EGR stands for, recirculate. If it isn't recirculated then it comes straight out giving you a stronger odor as CarolinaHD said.

From wikipedia....

In diesel engines

In modern diesel engines, the EGR gas is cooled with a heat exchanger to allow the introduction of a greater mass of recirculated gas. Unlike SI engines, diesels are not limited by the need for a contiguous flamefront; furthermore, since diesels always operate with excess air, they benefit from EGR rates as high as 50% (at idle, when there is otherwise a large excess of air) in controlling NOx emissions. Exhaust recirculated back into the cylinder can increase engine wear as carbon particulate wash past the rings and into the oil.[6]
Since diesel engines are unthrottled, EGR does not lower throttling losses in the way that it does for SI engines. Exhaust gas—largely nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor—has a higher specific heat than air, so it still serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. However, adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR.[7] [8]
Particulate matter (mainly carbon) that is not burned in the power stroke is wasted energy. Stricter regulations on particulate matter (PM) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions increase caused by EGR. The most common is a diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system which cleans the exhaust but causes a constant minor reduction in fuel efficiency due to the back pressure created. The nitrogen dioxide component of NOx emissions is the primary oxidizer of the soot caught in the DPF at normal operating temperatures. This process is known as passive regeneration. Increasing EGR rates cause passive regeneration to be less effective at managing the PM loading in the DPF. This necessitates periodic active regeneration of the DPF by burning diesel fuel in the oxidation catalyst in order to significantly increase exhaust gas temperatures through the DPF to the point where PM is quickly burned by the residual oxygen in the exhaust.
By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow. However, when combined with oil vapor from a PCV system, can cause buildup of sticky tar in the intake manifold and valves. It can also cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[9] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[10]
Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[11]

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im fairly certain the EGR does not turn on when you first start the truck. it may do a cycle test to make sure its working but not actually open it and use it.

are you doing this in the garage or outside of it?

jpimer

Nov 11, 2016
Delaware
@Chevy1925 - Truck stays in driveway. She is a bit too big to fit in the garage. 8 inches of lift and 37 inch tires don't work well with a standard garage door.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
@Chevy1925 - Truck stays in driveway. She is a bit too big to fit in the garage. 8 inches of lift and 37 inch tires don't work well with a standard garage door.

well thats what massaging the garage door opening fixes :D. Mine fits in a standard garage with the same lift and tires but i had to modify the opening some lol.

I just looked at an LBZ tune and ill bet LMM and LML are the same. the EGR wont kick on till coolant temp has hit 137* F at min. so adding it back in isnt going to change much unless the EGR is stuck open. not to mention it only pulls from one up pipe so its really not going to clean up the smell much.

I would talk with kory and see if he can clean that idle up some more. your not the first one i have seen/heard have this issue after a delete. My LL7 wiht no cat or EGR barely has any smell on a cold morning starting up outside. now starting it in the garage and letting it idle is a different story.

jpimer

Nov 11, 2016
Delaware
I just sent an email to the PPEI team to see if there is anything that can be done from their side. Hoping maybe that will be an option.

On a side note, a feature I will be looking for in our next house will be a 3 garage where the door can be a 9' tall door. One for the truck, one bay for tools and one for the kids toys. Those damn toys always take up all the space.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I know for a fact that a deleted lml stinks regardless of what you do. mine is very strong now.
by chance did you do the pcv re route? on the lml, it stinks a ton more then my lbz ever did.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I do not get any odor in the cab but the smell outside is BAD.

I did my block after my delete; no change in smell. You're welcome to come over the bridge to Cherry Hill NJ and sniff my tailpipe to see if you're overly sensitive or if it's your truck/tune :roflmao:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
My LML smelled like an old school bus when cold, the fumes would burn your eyes it was so bad. I just delt with it but that's 1 reason my new one is staying stock.