Street or Dyno Tuning

NRA223

May 20, 2015
So if I have somebody else tune the truck, I would have to go back to a stock tune first. I don't have a stock tune and can't drive the truck to the tuner on a stock tune. What are my options for getting a stock tune? I don't have a V2 or auto cal or anything. Am i SOL?

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
So if I have somebody else tune the truck, I would have to go back to a stock tune first. I don't have a stock tune and can't drive the truck to the tuner on a stock tune. What are my options for getting a stock tune? I don't have a V2 or auto cal or anything. Am i SOL?

You don't need to go back to a stock tune first.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I was told my tune would be locked and there was nothing that could be don with it.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
No, he is right. If it's a locked tune/ecm on 01-05 trucks then your not going to be able to flash over it. Run into it all the time unfortunately. Really sucks when someone drives three hours to get tuning and I can't flash over it or return it to stock for them. Some people don't even put the stock file in the autocal so the customer can return their truck to stock if need be and then want to charge them to return it to stock.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
No, he is right. If it's a locked tune/ecm on 01-05 trucks then your not going to be able to flash over it. Run into it all the time unfortunately. Really sucks when someone drives three hours to get tuning and I can't flash over it or return it to stock for them. Some people don't even put the stock file in the autocal so the customer can return their truck to stock if need be and then want to charge them to return it to stock.

I was supposed to save mine to the autocal or something like that when i firsts got it but didn't and now, wanting to change tuners I will have to pay for a stock file than send autocal to tuner and have them unlock it than get files from new tuner

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

Yup^^^ i run into a lot of lb7s this way.. Have to get original tuner to unlock it or get a clean ecm to use.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Can the dealer flash it back to stock or do you really need a new ecm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New ecm.. Dealer can't even flash over.. Or at least I can't with dealer software.. Only other way is to send your ecm to Tony and have them put new chips in it.. Or at least I think that'll work because you can send him a bricked ecm and they fix it.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Can the dealer flash it back to stock or do you really need a new ecm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately no, when it is locked by a V2, it has to be unlocked by that V2. I have all the GM Tis Software and MDI and it won't flash those ecms for the same reason we can't flash over with EFIlive.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can send the ECU out to someone and have it returned to stock by removing the flash chip and reprogramming it. It is a giant pain in the butt, and even with good de-soldering tools, risks damage to the PCB. It would most likely be cheaper than a new ECU, though.