Strange shifting. Help?

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Couple of weeks my tail housing cracked and pretty much ran my trans out of fluid. I was thinking of switching it out myself until I read on here the whole trans had to be pulled to check clearances or something. So I took it in, $1235.27 later it shifts STRANGE. It Also appears they never removed the trans by looking underneath. I was hauling my 3000lb boat after getting the truck back and the downshifts were in some gears I was afraid to stop. It almost felt like the rear wheels locked up for a second it was that hard. It was also reving up between gears in acceleration. I reset the taps and all was well but I still get a hard (not as hard as before) 4-3 downshift sometimes. I'm going to change the spin on because I've owned the truck for 10k miles and haven't changed it and its got some road grim so it's probably over due. Am I driving a ticking time bomb? Also a few times I would come to a light and it would wait a few seconds to shift to first then lurch forward. It has done that probably 5 times total, before and after repair. This truck had $6000 worth repairs and maint. Stuff done since July. (Injectors,power steering pump, water pump,tail housing and more). I guess what I'm asking is should i trade it in and take a loss since I owe on it or ???

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If they did this work in the truck; yes you have a ticking time bomb on your hands. This will make them responsable for any and all damage that occurs because of it.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Could a clogged filter be doing this? It's wierd because soon as the trans messes up on one shift it seems to act up in almost all gears for the rest of the drive. The shop is very reputable around here but I feel like if I call there and explain the problem there just going to say something else is happening and it's not there fault. They said the trans was 5 quarts low after it cracked.