Question: Strange bouncing feel in rear end?

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Goin slow in traffic it almost feels like a flat tire, I can see the bed hopping up and down? Would that be axle wrap? I have all leafs and overloads still. No traction bars but clamped leafs. It's only when going real slow. Speed up and it doesn't do it no more? Can feel it more so now with stock wheels/tires now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
Maybe an off balanced tire, or dented rim? If it did it at higher speeds I would think the tire has a bulge. Does it do it with different tires?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Bent rim or an out of round tire. Or a tire with a bubble between the outer cap and the cords.
Or you were driving through the ditch when you were looking in the mirror!:D

solored

May 27, 2012
Check your rear shocks see if the bushings are gone, wiggle them side to side to see how much play is there, if there is a noticeable amount, loosen off the bottom bolt and see if the shock is even doing what its supposed...

I say this, because mine is doing the same, and my shocks (that are pretty much new) are done, need new ones.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Does this do this only after sitting for a while? Seen tires get flat spotted from parking for an extended period of time. But usually goes away after some drive time.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
I'm buying some rancho 9000xl shocks in another week. It may just be a wheel balanced poorly. Checked U joints. No play what so ever. My stock shocks are Beatin up a bit anyways. So we will start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
mines real bad around 40-50mph tires and wheels are good

Glad I'm not the only one lol

its a well known problem. as soon as factory wheels are taken off and different ones are put on it becomes apparent. the best way to reduce it is to have your tire shop road force the tires if possible, make sure you have good/new rear shocks, and if it still bugs you and you have a full leaf pack get a set of sulastic shackles. Ive also heard the new style body mounts of the 08-up HDs put on the back two posts helps some as well.

it sounds like i talking about the common bounce you get on the freeway from the expansion joints but it all leads over to the 40-50mph bounce too.

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
Even though it was a half ton, I had gotten those shocks on my 96 Yukon all around after I had cranked the bars 2.5 inches and added a 2" block in the back. Ended up putting bilsteins on and those rode much better...

Sent from Secure Line