LLY: Stock turbo 68mm

joelypoleyy

Get er done
Jan 15, 2016
Okay so I was reading and found someone machined their turbo to fit a 68mm compressor wheel on a stock turbo. Since motor is out and getting lml short block and I'm rebuilding the turbo, and need a new compressor wheel will I gain anything from going up to a 68mm wheel or should I just not waste my time and buy a billet wheel?

joelypoleyy

Get er done
Jan 15, 2016
Yeah buts going to end up costing around the same as me getting a wheel versus machining and getting the cast wheel for 30$. Just trying to see if there are any gains from doing so

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I've built a couple 68mm lly's. IMO it's not worth it. I would put a billet LLY compressor wheel in, 10blade turbine, and play with turbine porting. If you want more whistle on the cheap, 03 6.0 psd vanes will be annoyingly loud. Stock LLY vanes on a 10blade is a nice middle ground in terms of whistle. But like everything, it's all personal preference

joelypoleyy

Get er done
Jan 15, 2016
I have the 360 thrust and the ten turbine wheel. Do the vanes make any difference besides the whistle. So just skip the 68mm wheel and get a billet wheel? I thought they didn't do anything? Just trying to make the turbo be at 550. Not trying to get huge gains or hit high HP numbers even though truck will be able to handle a good 650 when it's done.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
A stock LLY can do 550. The cost to machine the cover and backing plate offset any gains IMO. The only noticable difference from LLY vanes to flat PSD vanes was whistle. Nothing worth mentioning as far as DP/vane position/spool up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Shifted this thread over to Turbo Talk. Interesting info...I had no idea you could use PSD vanes in a Dmax turbo.

joelypoleyy

Get er done
Jan 15, 2016
I've heard of turbos taking a shit at 550, maybe stock I assume. So fingers, 10 turbine and billet compressor could make 600 with sticks? Nice:D

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I have a lly turbo with tct wheel, 10 blade turbine fingers vanes with a port and polish. Turbo has a crazy loud whistle and the tct wheel gives off a awesome compressor whine. My 12.8 was with the vanes pretty tight. They are opened up more now on top and it's a huge difference, I haven't had a chance to hit the track with new tune but I'm almost positive it will be much better. Mark has said this turbo is capable of 650-700

j17sims

Justin
Jul 1, 2011
Missouri
Im presently running LLY housing ported /polished with 10 blade turbine and billet 6x6 compressor while there is a slight lag on the street when you flat foot the throttle, its not much to speak of, but I built it with the mind set of sled pulling which was why I went with a 6x6 compressor.

joelypoleyy

Get er done
Jan 15, 2016
I have a lly turbo with tct wheel, 10 blade turbine fingers vanes with a port and polish. Turbo has a crazy loud whistle and the tct wheel gives off a awesome compressor whine. My 12.8 was with the vanes pretty tight. They are opened up more now on top and it's a huge difference, I haven't had a chance to hit the track with new tune but I'm almost positive it will be much better. Mark has said this turbo is capable of 650-700

So what's your power level now? Adding Turbine, fingers, and compressor wheel to the turbo make it handle the 650-700?