Stock Oil Filter Cooler/Oil Filter Block..Need Info On One of the Taps

Arkapigdiesel

Mar 4, 2008
Springdale, Arkansas
I want to tap into the port pictured below for a bypass filter. I can "feel" the port when I'm underneath my truck, but can't actually see it. Two questions:

1. How do I actually see the port? Do I need to remove my drivers side wheel well liner?

2. Is the thread a 1/2" NPT?

Appreciate it.

Attachments

• Tap For Bypass.jpg
    Tap For Bypass.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 46

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Found this info on another site, use a small torch or large soldering iron to weaken the locktite..

I have the Edge Insight which allows me to add a sending unit for temps including engine oil. The filter mount has several plugs but the one I used is pictured below. It can best be accessed through the driver side fender well just behind the upper control arm.

This plug takes a 10mm hex head - do not try to use the closest SAE size because it will only booger up the hex causing you grief.
I highly recommend a 1/2" drive 10mm hex socket, and you'll most likely need a universal too. This plug is also TIGHT. It is installed with Locktite and will put up a fight, so it's important to make sure the hex bit is fully seated.

I have read that you can help break the bond of the Locktite by using a soldering iron on the plug for a while, but I've done two of these now, and brute force along with the proper tools worked just fine.
When the plug is out, you need not worry about losing oil, unless perhaps you just shut the truck off and it's still draining back. This is where things get a little weird. The plug hex is 10mm and GM made the switch to metric along time ago. The plug threads however are good old standard pipe threads. The Edge sending unit is 1/8 pipe thread, and the plug is 1/2 pipe thread, so an adapter is needed

Arkapigdiesel

Mar 4, 2008
Springdale, Arkansas
Did this today. Removing the plug wasn't the problem since I used a long extension with a wobble, and my 2 ft. breaker bar to break it loose. It's just so flipping tight in there trying to get all the fittings installed and turned to where I wanted them. I made a trip to O Reilly's and had to get a reducer bushing, a 45 elbow, another reducer bushing, and a 1/4" hookup for my stainless braided connecting line. Getting all four of those connected, good and tight, and turned where I wanted in such a tight spot proved maddening. The four letter words might have helped, but I'm not sure.

Lesson was learned though.....I'm buying a larger crow's foot wrench set. That would have made this job much easier.