Steering Upgrade

eloc309

Jan 1, 2016
Ok, I have been doing some research and have decided to go with Kryptonite Stage 3 from DmaxStore. My truck is stock height 07 Classic SRW LWB 3500.
I have a couple of questions with this setup. Question 1:
Will this kit still work with a 4" lift down the road if and when I decide to go that route? I'm confused about if the center link and possibly the idler arm brace is compatible with a lift.
Question 2:
What is the benefit of aftermarket UCA's? I want to improve ride quality, will these help?

Also doing new brake rotors ( mine are warped) and stainless brake hoses. My brakes are very spongy. Even after completely flushing and changing steering and brake fluid. I'm excited about getting my truck back to its youthful feel.

Any input on getting an improved ride quality will be appreciated as well.
Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I'll bet when you pull your rotors off you will see that the pads were only grabbing on a small portion of the rotor on the inside and that your pads will be froze in place on the slides. This is normally the biggest reason for weak brakes on our trucks. The stainless hoses aren't a bad idea, but they will not make the difference so much as correctly operating brakes. An automated bleed using a scan tool is also a huge help in some circumstances. The ultimate brake system setup on an 01-10 truck would be a 2011 hydroboost, new pads/rotors and correctly operating caliper slide pins, stainless hoses, and ran thru the automated bleed function.

eloc309

Jan 1, 2016
Thanks, I will check the condition of the pads and slide bolts. I really didn't think it would be an issue since It was in good shape when I recently replaced both hub assemblies back in.........ummm, well dang it's been over two years. Time flies.
Were the 2011 hydraboost improved or what? If I find my HB is the issue and I need to buy a new one I will look into the newer unit. No fitment issues with it?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Find someone with a TECH-2 and cycle the ABS controller, flush, then cycle, then flush again you'll be surprised how much better the brakes feel, mine sure did..

The front end parts, I was at some point going to use the SuperSteer idler shaft SS175 (Rareparts RP21307), RareParts idler arm RP 20608, pitman arm 3 spline RP20609 4 spline RP20610. Look at the design in the link below and you can see how the idler arm prevents the center link from rotating up and down during suspension travel.

http://rareparts.com/gm-steering

Here is the 2011 brake booster thread, post 21 has the part number...

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65044
=
=

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Yes the stage 3 Kryptonite package will work with lifted trucks... If you plan on hard launching a lifted truck go with a bigger lift than you need so you can clear the tires you want as low as you can be on that lift, this will make for better shaft angles.
I am on a 6" lift that I have traded out the keys and rear blocks to sit at about 4" the combo of 6" spindles and front diff drop siting at 4" s gives me slightly negative shaft angles and tie rods are in a perfect straight line with centerlink at ride height with 36 inch tires.
As stated above the 2011 LMM hydrobooster is a worthwhile upgrade but most importantly ensure the rest of the system is in good order. If you do the hydrobooster upgrade you may need to open up the pin hole on the pushrod slightly to get the brake light switch to function the hole is ever so slightly smaller and doesn't have quite enough slop to trigger the switch. Guys have had trouble with brake lights and being able to put the truck into gear after this Mod and it is simply that hole is too small.:thumb:

eloc309

Jan 1, 2016
Great comments guys. Thank you!

I won't be doing any hard launches but I've heard about installing a 6" and lowering it to a 4" for ride quality. Sounds like it's easier on the front end too. That's my main objective, to build the front end to last longer and not have the roll.
Thanks for the info on the LMM boost. When I have to replace it I will definitely buy one.

56taskforce,
So you can fit 36" tires under a 4" lift? I can't get a good look at your signature pic. Can you send me a pic of how it looks with the tires? My email is [email protected].
Thanks again for the great comments.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
There pictures on here in my album and I will be adding more soon. Still working on getting the rear down level with the front. The tires are 325/60R 20s when I bought the truck it had 355/60R 20s they were 37" tall and almost 14" wide they looked good but I was at the top of the 6" lift and shaft angles were very bad and I like to race...