Steering shaft clunk

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
I have the famous clunk in one of my trucks that I have not been able to fix. Has anyone on here had good or bad luck with the borgeson shaft? I'm willing to try anything. I have replaced with the new updated shaft and installed two of the green POS plastic bearings. I'm going to install a new green POS bearing in the morning. Any new advice? Wish there was a real bearing to install.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I have the same problem .
A friend of mine that's a professional mechanic with several Duramax trucks of his own told me that the outter housing at the bottom end gets wobbled out allowing play between it and the bushing that centers the shaft . He said a simple hose clamp around the outter housing snugged to compress the housing tightening the clearance to the bushing will fix the problem . I planning on doing it to mine but have yet to do it .

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Had a buddy that did the hose clamp trick. Seemed to fix it. I've heard of others drilling and tapping the tube section and installing a grease nipple which I've been told also helps.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
You can do the hose clamp fix or even just use a zip tie. I used a standard plastic zip tie on mine with a little lithium grease and haven't touched it in 3 years!:woott:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Here is my steering clunk journey:rofl:
1. Rtv stock shaft, fixed for a few months clunk came back.
2. borgeson shaft, better but still slight rattle.
3. Green lower carrier bearing and a hose clamp around it, fixed for a year or so...
4. Slight clunk is back, I have heard of a bearing at the base of the steering wheel in the column that can go bad as well. I think that may be my clunk now, as it feels like its higher/closer to the steering wheel now.

I also think the borg shaft magnifies the other rattles... I would do the stock replacement from gm or the Dorman one IIRC. Drill it and tap for a grease zerk. Clamp the green bearing and see if the rattle moves closer to the steering wheel. You may have the same issue as me.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Just my 2 cents worth but seems like it would be best to go with the hose clamp first since it cost almost nothing . Then if that doesn't work go with some of the other potential fixes .

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Hose clamp fixed mine after swapping shaft out and clunk coming back. Wish I would've done the clamp first and saved that money lol

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Just replaced 1 year old green bearing with another new one. Clunk is gone for a few months again. I'm going to see what it would take to put a real bearing in place of the green brg/bushing. I could machine a piece easy enough but to fit tight enough not to rattle it might be to hard to install with column in truck. We will see. I'm amazed at how some trucks clunk like crazy and others don't.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I used an exhaust clamp. Just barely snugged it two years ago and it hasn't made a sound since.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Pics of said hose clamp or zip tie fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jixxer

dilligaf
Aug 30, 2014
Ky
Hose clamp took care of mine!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443488642.048765.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443488642.048765.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443488642.048765.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 48

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
I've tried the hose clamp before with little success. The muffler clamp might tighten the steering tube some, but I don't want to crimp the steering shaft tube any.

Gil714

Nov 19, 2014
There are some things to consider with the Boreston Shaft. First, the tolerances on shaft are must better than the OEM unit to where it bolts to the steering column and lower steering shaft. In fact, if you have ever installed a replacement OEM shaft, you will notice how easy the new shaft goes into the lower steering shaft. This is one of the areas that causes vibration that resignates from lower suspension, thru the steering gear, up to the steering wheel. Secondly, there's a vibration dampener that is built into the upper portion of the steering shaft that helps with this issue. Thirdly, while the shaft is more expensive, you do get a 5 year warranty on the shaft-which is more than double of what the OEM has.

The other area(s) that are a source of vibration; first, is the bearing in the tilt wheel assembly area where the assembly pivots. The metal will elongate over time allowing the steering wheel to have movement in the steering assembly. The metal of the assembly is made of a very poor casting that will allow the pins to move freely over time. In fact, I'm surprised that GM didn't machine a bronze bushing in the assembly to help with this issue. Lastly, there's also a upper bearing that holds the shaft in the center of the assembly near the steering wheel that can be a source of the vibration. You will see that some members have had to have the entire steering column replaced. As a result, they found the problem to be fixed.