Steering noise - Sounds like an old door screeching when turning left

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
First of all let me say I have been chasing this noise for quite some time now and there is a whole lot that has been tried and done. The noise occurs when I do a hard left turn mostly when rolling at a very low speed. It sounds like an old screeching door there is no better way for me to describe it. During the sound there is a slight vibration felt through the wheel.

-Replaced wheel bearings, replaced upper/lower ball joints, struts and brakes. Noise did not change.

-Replaced power steering pump three times. Noise did not change.

At this point I brought the truck to the dealership to let them have a look at it...

-Dealer replaced lower column bearing. Noise did not change.

Dealer then recommended the SIR coil or the steering column be changed. Since I already had installed an SIR coil I decided to do this part myself.

-Installed brand new SIR coil myself. Noise came back 2 days after but did not change once back.

Then I purchased a used steering column from a salvage yard and since the dealer gave me a deal on installing that I let them do it.

-Dealer installed used column. Noise came back 2 days after but is much less pronounced and cannot be replicated easily so far since it's been two days. Also the vibration is gone or much less present.

What can it be next?

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
turn up the radio :rofl: j/k it sounds like you have replaced just about everything. I assume you have greased everything in the front end?

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I tried that a long while back and no go. I am planning to go on a trip so I will be changing my oil and greasing the many grease points very soon tho.

Now it just seems like the noise is coming from lower below whereas before it was clearly heard and felt from above. It sounds as if the noise is further away anyways.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The noise is only present when your turning the steering wheel? If so I can almost promise it's the steering gear. Especially with everything else you have replaced.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The noise is only present when your turning the steering wheel? If so I can almost promise it's the steering gear. Especially with everything else you have replaced.

x2. when mine blew the cage up inside, it sounded like tow peices of metal with lots of pressure on them trying to slide. nasty nasty noise. i chased the noise for quite some time cause it would resonate through the frame and sounded like other parts were bad. once i finally took the box off the frame and turned the tires to make the noise, it was evident where the issue was

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
It is the steering shaft. They go bad after about 20k miles. The dealer replaced mine 3 times before warranty was up. IMO it's a bad design. I think there is a company that makes aftermarket steering shafts that fixes this problem; I will try to find out some info for you.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
couldn't you put it on a lift to take the load off the front suspension, then turn the wheel to pin point where it is?

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I thought I replied yesterday but I guess I forgot to hit send!

A little food for thought I guess. Since the noise changed and only returned later after I changed the clockspring and then later after the steering column was changed it makes me wonder... If it was the steering gear how could have the noise somewhat changed???

Either way now it's slowly getting back as it was and I started feeling a vibration through the wheel again and from time to time it sounds just like it was in the cabin other times coming from down below. What pisses me off is the amount of money I already thrown at this problem and not even fixed any of it. I towed a 3 ton load of pea gravel yesterday and the only thing I can say is that it's not as bad as it was initially when towing there is an improvement after the steering column change but I still hear it.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
As for reproducing the noise while the truck is sitting either lifted on jacks or not I was not able to reproduce the darn noise. Heck I wish it was that bad so I could figure it out.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
I can't imagine the problem would be with the intermediate shaft but would that be worth a try? Much cheaper and easier than the steering gear...

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I haven't seen any DIY for a gear, but it's pretty straight forward. You'll need to rent a pitman arm puller from AutoZone, run you seatbelt through your steering wheel to prevent it from spinning after disconnecting the intermediate shaft. Then just dive in :thumb: