LBZ: Starting engine on stand?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
what all is req'd to start a duramax (lbz to be exact) on a stand out of the truck???

Need sealed fuel source or just a hose in fuel can work?
What all needs power? Starter, ECM, what else?
Radiator need to be hooked up? (it'll just be a short run, shouldn't run long enough to get hot)
Need ignition switch hooked up or can I just jump the terminals on the starter? (mainly wonder what ECM will think of that old gasser method??
I know vats needs to be turned off in ECM. Do I need to do anything else in regards to the ECM? Like brake pedal switch or need any input from transmission (Allison can be attached or removed. Whichever is best)

Just preparing for the 83 conversion and wanna make sure the engine is right BEFORE it's in the truck. ;)

Thanks!

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
It will either be really easy or damn near impossible.

There is so many inputs that could submarine your efforts that I wouldn't even know where to begin. But obviously if you get it to work ont he stand it should work in the truck so that is 3/4 of the battle won already.

I would bras the crap out of the stand too. At idle it probably has enough torque to flip that stand and itself upside down 3 times before you can even get it shut off.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
what all is req'd to start a duramax (lbz to be exact) on a stand out of the truck???

Need sealed fuel source or just a hose in fuel can work?
What all needs power? Starter, ECM, what else?
Radiator need to be hooked up? (it'll just be a short run, shouldn't run long enough to get hot)
Need ignition switch hooked up or can I just jump the terminals on the starter? (mainly wonder what ECM will think of that old gasser method??
I know vats needs to be turned off in ECM. Do I need to do anything else in regards to the ECM? Like brake pedal switch or need any input from transmission (Allison can be attached or removed. Whichever is best)

Just preparing for the 83 conversion and wanna make sure the engine is right BEFORE it's in the truck. ;)

Thanks!

Im just shooting in the dark here, never tried it, but since the brakes dont have to be applied, you shouldnt need a brake switch, and trucks can be started without the tcm hooked up, so you shouldnt need any input from the tcm. The radiator doesnt need to be hooked up if its just gonna be for a minute or two, and you should be able to just cross the terminals, since im pretty sure a duramax will still run with a bad ignition switch, you just loose communication with the trans and gauge cluster, since thats where it gets it voltage. Like i said, im just guessing here, and any of my assumptions could be wrong. Like Craig said, i would brace the engine stand pretty good and just try it out.:)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Thanks guys...

Thought about something else... Im going to have a hellova time hooking up EfI live with no obdii port. :p guess Ill either have to hook one up or build a bench harness to tune the ECM and then put it back in. Not sure which would be best/easiest??? I know ben (duratothemax) has built a harness AND added a second obd port to his truck so he should be a help there. Hope you see that Ben! ;)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
No I haven't. I haven't even actually taken delivery of the engine and trans. It should be here middle of next week. :D

I've spoken with member pussow over on TDP as he did this exact same swap into the exact same config. truck (square body crew cab short bed) and sells the conversion manuals on ebay under the same name. Anyways, he says (as does Tony Burkhardt who did the LBZ airboat ) that I'll be in need of the throttle pedal (I believe it's called fly by wire or I'm remembering it wrong?) and sensors for this swap and I don't have them. Wonder where's the best place to acquire one? Salvage yard? GM? gmpartsdirect? car-parts.com? Wonder if I could just get the sensors and adapt them to the oe 83 pedal/pedal assymbly???

C-ya