Stainless Steel brake lines from Inline Tube leaking like a son of a ****

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Alright can you tell I am frustrated?

I bought a stainless steel kit simply since well it wasn't much more cash and it will never ever tarnish but boy I am regretting my decision now. I tried loosening and tightening 2 fittings I don't know how many times with no luck. One just pours and the other drips... What the heck? The pouring one is over a brand new flex line so it's not like I used an old fitting which they advise against. But the other one is over the ABS module. I feel as if I can't tighten them any more without hurting anything. These are small nuts! I read somewhere that permatex #14 can be used on the taper but that seems a little weird to me...

Anyways I am done for the night I need to cool off.

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
What kit did you buy? Just curious as I am considering going all stainless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Are both sides stainless as the flare angles are different between steel and stainless steel?

Sent from, wait where the hell am I?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Have you tried calling Inline Tube to see what's going on? Let us know how it works out, I am looking at a set of Inline Tube lines myself.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well after fiddling with them for another 5 hours I got them to seal at at least I am confident I did. These need to be tight and I mean freaking tight! More than I would be comfortable with on a line nut. Not all of them will end up giving you grief but in total I had 3 leaks which I had to deal with and when I thought they were good I was wrong. If I would do it again I would stay away from stainless steel... Look it up for yourself I am not the only one who had this problem even with Inline Tube stuff. I would just go with regular steel. If you need brake lines chances are your vehicle is up there is age. Consider how long the steel ones lasted unless you are building a show truck. I went with stainless since I thought what the heck for a little extra they will never tarnish but these suckers are hard to seal and it was hard enough to get them in place! If you go with stainless invest in a good set of quality flare wrenches and flare crowfoot. I mean Snap-On like quality because they can't be loose on the fitting or else you will spin it. I regret my decision now maybe because I am not planning on keeping the truck for more than 4-5 years anyways.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Tip: If the line wrench ends up loose on the fitting. Put the wrench in the vise an close it's grip a little. This is what I did just to ensure they where not going to spin anywhere! Quality line wrenches are a must tho. China made crap isn't so good.