Spray on bedliner for utility trailer

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good afternoon,

Well I have a 16 foot utility trailer that I use to haul all sorts of nasty things inside and it desperately needs a paint job. In the past with my steel trailers I have simply wire wheeled as best as I could the rust and loose paint and shot a good coat of the best rust paint I could find in town no particular favorite brand. They hold up 3-4 years until the process needs to be repeated sometimes sooner depending on abuse. This time I am thinking of getting radical and hoping not to have to redo the same work quite as soon.

I plan on wire wheeling the whole thing. Doing the whole POR15 process as a base coat and rust inhibitor and then using a spray on bedliner such as Duplicolor or Rustoleum available for relatively cheap. It should stand up to gravel being dumped into it by front loaders a little better and have a good non slip surface. Not sure if anyone here has anything to say about my plan... Personal experience is welcome :)

CreepyMike

Apr 2, 2014
Fredericksburg, Va
I have used both Duplicolor and Rustoleum rattle can for touch up and on areas that didn't get beat up too bad and had pretty good luck. IMO it would be difficult/expensive to get it near thick enough to hold up in your situation. When I did the bed of one of my trucks I used the Herculiner roll on and I did two coats using a gallon for each coat. Which came out to about $160 for a 6'6" fleetside pickup. I still have that truck and 3+ years later it is still holding up well. I did spray over it once, with a rattle can, just because it had faded a little.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others have probably had different experiences with all of the brands. As I'm sure you already know, the most important part is preparing the surface you're going to spray it on.

d.s.wendt

Nov 27, 2013
www.facebook.com
I have used both Duplicolor and Rustoleum rattle can for touch up and on areas that didn't get beat up too bad and had pretty good luck. IMO it would be difficult/expensive to get it near thick enough to hold up in your situation. When I did the bed of one of my trucks I used the Herculiner roll on and I did two coats using a gallon for each coat. Which came out to about $160 for a 6'6" fleetside pickup. I still have that truck and 3+ years later it is still holding up well. I did spray over it once, with a rattle can, just because it had faded a little.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others have probably had different experiences with all of the brands. As I'm sure you already know, the most important part is preparing the surface you're going to spray it on.

I did this but with one gallon, for the bed 2 is getting excessive I think, has held up great for me, but does fade. You can buy a uv spray for it I believe

CreepyMike

Apr 2, 2014
Fredericksburg, Va
I did this but with one gallon, for the bed 2 is getting excessive I think, has held up great for me, but does fade. You can buy a uv spray for it I believe

Yeah, both gallons was maybe a bit excessive :). At the time I was working construction and throwing stuff in the bed all day, plus I had already purchased both gallons and didn't figure it had a very long shelf life so I used them both up.

Do you recall the UV blocker brand?

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I would just call a Line-X dealer. My buddy had his 16 foot utility trailer done in 0.250" thick and cost less then $300 and backed with lifetime warranty. Its been over 5 years still good just dirty lol.

CreepyMike

Apr 2, 2014
Fredericksburg, Va
I would just call a Line-X dealer. My buddy had his 16 foot utility trailer done in 0.250" thick and cost less then $300 and backed with lifetime warranty. Its been over 5 years still good just dirty lol.

Clearly having it done at a shop would be the best option and if you can get it for under $300 for a full trailer then jump on it. The cheapest place here in Northern Va is $400 for a short bed pickup so I'm sure a bit more for a 16' trailer.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Clearly having it done at a shop would be the best option and if you can get it for under $300 for a full trailer then jump on it. The cheapest place here in Northern Va is $400 for a short bed pickup so I'm sure a bit more for a 16' trailer.

X2. That would cost about 800 up here.
I would just clean and prep it the way you are planning to, buy a cheap shotz gun, a gallon of rock guard and spray it. It should last and turn out good.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
If LineX would be a 300 to 400$ option I would do it especially for the lifetime aspect of it. My truck bed is LineX and I love the stuff. But they charge a fortune for it too up here so I doubt it would be so cheap. Rocker guard is another option which should stand up to abuse a little bit more. I am sure on the por15 although I think that is what is going to make it stand to rust for quite a while longer as long as the process is followed. As for cost I can't imagine going anywhere further than 2 gallons of this stuff. The floor is PT wood with open sides covered in plywood which I replace when needed. I will leave the wood unfinished so there is very little paint in reality.

d.s.wendt

Nov 27, 2013
www.facebook.com
Yeah, both gallons was maybe a bit excessive :). At the time I was working construction and throwing stuff in the bed all day, plus I had already purchased both gallons and didn't figure it had a very long shelf life so I used them both up.

Do you recall the UV blocker brand?

I'm sorry mike I lost this thread in the mix, I believe it was from herculiner.

Hopefully you see this.