Soooo tired of replacing upper ball joints

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
stock arms?
I'm trying the cognito's,,hope they hold up,,at least I can change them out quickly.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Cognito on the 04 and Kryptonite on the 05. Cognito’s have held just fine so far 20k miles still tight. Not sure on the Kryptonites? Haven’t had the truck that long but they are tight as of now.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Is there more than one option for upper control arms that will correct the geometry?

Get a better mechanic... ;)

Is your truck Lifted, Leveled, Lowered, Stock?

I have only heard good things about Kryptonite Suspension parts.

All Kryptonite suspension components carry a Lifetime Warranty.

(Kryptonite No Fine Print Lifetime warranty)-Kryptonite steering and suspension components are warrantied for life to their original purchaser. This warranty is against any manufacturer defects, premature wear or breakage. Race it, jump it, off road it, sled pull it, wreck it, lift it, level it, lower it, I think you get it? We don’t care. If you can break it we will replace it. Kryptonite products must be purchased from an authorized dealer.

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
Ive had both Cognito and Kryptonite. Between the two Id choose Kryptonite again. Excellent quality. I installed Kryptonite UCAs, Krytponite front wheel bearings, Kryptonite lower ball joints and sway bar end links at the same time. The ride and handling has no comparison to stock its insane how much better it is. Next will be their tie rods as my PPEs are aging.
Id go with Kryptonite .

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Get a better mechanic... ;)

Is your truck Lifted, Leveled, Lowered, Stock?

I have only heard good things about Kryptonite Suspension parts.

All Kryptonite suspension components carry a Lifetime Warranty.

What does being tired of replacing upper ball joints have to do with getting a better mechanic?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Albert, they've known each other for years. Just good natured ribbing. Think "you and Simon" when you read it. Then it's funny.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Not sure why some guys have so much trouble with wheel bearings and ball joints.
My LBZ was lifted with 35’s and I only changed one wheel bearing while still under warranty and never did any ball joints in 180 000 miles. This truck wasn’t a pavement princess either. It got run hard. It needed them when I traded it in but still got 180 000 miles out of the factory parts.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I go through a set of wheel bearings every 80-100k on my truck with 35" tires. I think weight and speed do more to wear them out than off-road or track abuse. I'll have the front axle 500+ lbs over gross, then set the cruise control at 80+ for 6 hours.

Wheel offset can play a big part too. I run the H2 rims, which are supposed to be pretty easy on parts compared to most aftermarket stuff.

I went through a couple sets of upper control arms in the last couple years, though. Not sure why the ones I got wouldn't last. Finally switched from the ACDelco to Moog, and they are ok for now. Probably go kryptonite next time, especially if these only last a few years.

As has been mentioned, I've heard good things about the Cognito and Kryptonite. I have a few Kryptonite steering parts that are bulletproof, which is why I'd lean that way.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
For those asking, I tow fairly heavy trailers on & off road, and I run 33x12.50r18’s with no lift. But I did the NorCal fender mod, and turned my torsion bars up one inch. The upper ball joints on these trucks don’t do well to start with, which is why you see different vendors offering their “fixes”. So far I can tell you that the cheapest ball joints last about as long as the high dollar Moog “problem solver” ball joints. About a year and a half. Mostly because the ball joint angles are terrible with the 1” crank up.
I also have to drive 8 miles each way on a horrible road to the plant I work at, dubbed the roller coaster. They take a beating.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
You aren’t cranked up that bad. Mines 1/4” from the stops, I’ve put 4 driver side ball joints in and still on the factory passenger side, don’t know why, my LLY did the exact same thing, but it also liked bearings and the LMM I have replaced one on the driver side and didn’t the passenger side just because it was apart.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Maybe you should trim more or or go down to a 285, so you can get rid of the crank. I got 180k on my factor front end and it’s still in good shape on my 06 and 170k on the 08. My moto is the faster you go the smoother the bumps get. I run 50mph down matted pipeline rightaways all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk