Which Cam?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am looking for a cam for my new build and have narrowed it down to a SoCal 6480AF, Wagler Stage 2AF Street Cam, or the Comp Camps 502 in a custom grind AF pattern.

Truck is in sig below. Mainly used as a hot street truck/puller.

Opinions? Your choice not listed? Post below

Racer

Racer
Feb 16, 2014
Charlotte NC
Is there anybody dyno testing looking at camshafts and unable to find what they are looking for from the event standpoint? Just curious

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Wade did dyno testing a few years ago and found anywhere from 40- 290hp difference between his grinds and the competition. Of course application dependant.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
I ran the NGM 473 cam on the street, instant spool and power from 1500 to 3200 redline. But thats his smallest, comparable to the socal and others mentioned.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wade did dyno testing a few years ago and found anywhere from 40- 290hp difference between his grinds and the competition. Of course application dependant.

I ran the NGM 473 cam on the street, instant spool and power from 1500 to 3200 redline. But thats his smallest, comparable to the socal and others mentioned.

Dont go pimping shit around here and offering no advice to go along with it. Keep it up and see how much longer you last

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Dont go pimping shit around here and offering no advice to go along with it. Keep it up and see how much longer you last

1st i did offer advise, 2nd my opinion is not pimping and certainly no different than anyone else providing their opinion or view.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
1st i did offer advise, 2nd my opinion is not pimping and certainly no different than anyone else providing their opinion or view.

Bull shit. You had your warning but keep pushing my button, my trigger finger is extremely itchy today :D

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I went from a stock cam to a Socal 6460. I did notice slightly better spool but that was about it. I did go down to 16.5:1 at the same time.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I went from a stock cam to a Socal 6460. I did notice slightly better spool but that was about it. I did go down to 16.5:1 at the same time.

Thats what my new motor is going to be, 16.5:1 with 0.100" reliefs. Dropping the block off next week to get prepped.

I've talked to quite a few tuners who have steered me towards the 6480AF. I know I will potentially give up some power over 4k rpm but the peak power should be right about where my truck sits pulling with the 6480AF.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Guess I’m the only one confused as hell lol:baby:

To the OP just cause I’m bored on lunch, I’ve done a bunch of looking into the theory of AF cams and tho I don’t have any first hand experience, the SoCal cam definitely pops up as more popular than any of the rest. Don’t believe I’ve seen much of anything at all bad. Both SoCal and Wagler are pretty big names. Don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Guess I’m the only one confused as hell lol:baby:

To the OP just cause I’m bored on lunch, I’ve done a bunch of looking into the theory of AF cams and tho I don’t have any first hand experience, the SoCal cam definitely pops up as more popular than any of the rest. Don’t believe I’ve seen much of anything at all bad. Both SoCal and Wagler are pretty big names. Don’t think you could go wrong with either.

Thats what I've read also. From my understanding the Wagler Stage 2AF street cam comes on a little later than the 6480AF.

I am not 100% sold on AF being the "cure" but I do think it will help my stock crank/stock cap/main studded engine live along with the 4lb taken out of the rotating assy! :Charger:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Do yourself a huge favor. Call socal. Explain your goals. Let them help you. Wrong cam choice can hurt you big on drivability and goals

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Do yourself a huge favor. Call socal. Explain your goals. Let them help you. Wrong cam choice can hurt you big on drivability and goals

Called em twice, got two different answers.

One guy was 9100 till death did him part and another guy was more reasonable and actually explained what would have happened if I chose each cam and what it would do to the spool/driveability (he recommended 6480).

The 9100 will arguably make more power in the 4k+ range but it will hinder spool up and actually has the chance of me dropping off the charger as the truck sucks down at the end of the track pulling.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

I did, called twice (rather make sure their employees are on the same page). One guy said 9100 and honestly didn't give off the knowledgeable vibe, couldn't provide a solid answer as to why just said that was the cam to go to.

Second guy was way more helpful and seemed much more knowledgeable. He recommended the 6480 since I wanted to ensure the truck stayed on top of the charger when it got sucked down at the end of a pull making only ~900hp with a 76mm. He said if I had the 150s I plan to run in it now it would be 9100 no questions as we could fuel it hard enough to keep it lit.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I went with a Callies/Wagler Stage 1 , didn't want to loose any drive-ability trucks going to be a multipurpose one not a dedicated racer/puller. Haven't tested yet motors still on the stand :eek: need to get my shit together :spit:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I did, called twice (rather make sure their employees are on the same page). One guy said 9100 and honestly didn't give off the knowledgeable vibe, couldn't provide a solid answer as to why just said that was the cam to go to.

Second guy was way more helpful and seemed much more knowledgeable. He recommended the 6480 since I wanted to ensure the truck stayed on top of the charger when it got sucked down at the end of a pull making only ~900hp with a 76mm. He said if I had the 150s I plan to run in it now it would be 9100 no questions as we could fuel it hard enough to keep it lit.

Just ask to speak with Guy... He won't sell you anything he doesn't think you need.