Smoking

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I have a 2004 GMC LB7 with 259,000 miles. When I start it up an let it idle it's a faint white smoke coming from the exhaust. If I go drive it goes away and when I idle for a bit it comes back. Good black smoke when accelerating and smooth idle. Is this a injector sign or just may need a fuel additive? Not sure

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Not sure on injectors. No service records show injector change and still trying to get ahold o last owner to see. Did show a regular check and service of fuel system though. Any recommendations for injectors and how hard are they to change

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
They take quite awhile and the injectors are fairly price figure to spend over 2,000$ in parts. You should log balance rates to see how bad the injectors actually are. EFI Live can do this as can the dealer

Cww

Older fng
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
Before I bought it a week ago I had a mechanic test the balance rates and he said they were good. I guess I should start looking into changing them

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It depends on mileage honestly... If these have 125,000 miles on them then I doubt there is much you can do. Search this board as there is something that can be bought from the dealer that can clean out the injectors and there is a special procedure that goes with it. It will only buy you a short amount of time.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
You may want to pay special attention to the return rates, I think the white smoke has something to do with the return, the injectors are not atomizing the fuel so they wind up returning it, or something along those lines

Here's a link to "one" of the injector cleaning threads on this forum that paint was referring to, there are a few more, and one that has step by step with pics, but this should get you goin

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36198&page=3