Smoking during cold idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
its all got up to 5% bio blend here in ga, check the pump next time you fill up may be different in other states

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
You all are putting too much thought into it lol... Every diesel I've ever been around has always blue hazed in the winter till warmed up.

Sold all my 6.6's and bout a 97 6.5... Life is good haha

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Mines does the same thing, I don't worry about it. Diesels haze when cold it's just the nature of the beast. That's one of the reassons why the manufacturers added egr and intake air grid heaters...

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Yep, cold air, cold fuel, cold cyl walls. Start a big block deere in the cold and she will blow white and gray till it builds some heat, then starts blue haze till it gets to operating temp.

1997 chevy 6.5 turboo diesel

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
You all are putting too much thought into it lol... Every diesel I've ever been around has always blue hazed in the winter till warmed up.

Sold all my 6.6's and bout a 97 6.5... Life is good haha

Well I definitely hard short rods that were causing the smoke at idle. One exited the block and when the new motor went in, it quit smoking.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I have found out that my truck is actually kinda fun to drive if you just ignore all sounds, types of smoke and fluid puddles. Mine does a little of the first two and I used to get all worried now I just check once in awhile.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Well I definitely hard short rods that were causing the smoke at idle. One exited the block and when the new motor went in, it quit smoking.

That sucks. But you were pushing the hell out of yours, mine is still running stock fuel. So I doubt that is the cause of the little bit mine hazes when cold, yours was pouring some smoke. I would have been suspect as well...

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Mine hazes slightly blue when it's real cold out when she is warming up. Probably normal. Every duramax I've owns has alittle but when it's freezing out. Only for a few minutes upon start up really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

education is expensive
Sep 19, 2011
maine
www.highvoltagediesel.com
block is cold, fuel is cold. Heat helps combustion. Without some heat its not going to get complete combustion. Tony is Right, you can try to retune for this or put it back to stock if you cant deal with it.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
block is cold, fuel is cold. Heat helps combustion. Without some heat its not going to get complete combustion. Tony is Right, you can try to retune for this or put it back to stock if you cant deal with it.
Thanks for telling us everything we already knew. Now if you had read through each post...this thread is over a year old and the ops motor threw a rod. His new motor doesn't have issues...

But thanks for playing.

Duramaxduner

Oct 28, 2013
Mine also does that when it is cold for a min but then it goes away. I wouldn't worry about it. My whole motor is stock with stock injectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.