Smoke where I don't want it...Fried Piston? Injector?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Swapping the Water Pump out this morning. Tried yesterday...failed miserably on the wake of breaking a WHOLE MESS of 1/2" breaker bars and ratchets. I'm using the tool method, I'm about to put the 400lb. air impact on (hopefully don't have to pull the radiator to squeeze in there) it and see if that gets the harmonic balancer off. If it doesn't, have any of you used the "bump" method? Just frame-railing the breaker, pulling the leslie tool and giving the engine a slight bump? That scares the bejesus out of me but at $1200 from the shop, I'm willing to do just about anything to save that extra grand...especially on the precipice of injector (or more) replacement.

I usually use the bump method.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Okay, water pump replaced. Had to do the bypass tube twice as I forgot I had injector cup o-rings the first time and use the AC Delco provided o-ring.. which promptly broken half when I put it in, didn't know this until I lost a gallon of coolant on the first startup.

Doing initial warm up and top off now. Hopefully now I can actually get the damn thing to the shop. I have been looking at doing the injectors myself but man, I just don't feel super confident about it, to be honest with you.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Okay all. So sorry I haven't responded, so it turned out just to be the injectors. Oil pan was indeed filling up with diesel fuel and either burning off before it got there or overflowing and burning off.

I left the day after I got the truck back from the shop for 10 days in the mountains and overheated about four times during. Limped home and pulled the cooling stack off and holy sh*t...

Took a spell to get all of that out of there, just used a couple cans of engine degreaser and let it sit for about 15 minutes before blasting the absolute hell out of it from the "clean" side.

Truck is running like never before now. For now anyway. 😆

Attachments

• 20210629_182455.jpg
    20210629_182455.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 20

RosWell

May 30, 2008
Crazy how that stuff gets in there. Never considered fuel diluting the oil like that. Glad you got it up and running again!

Reactions: JayhawkLB7