Sled pulling Technique

djms

Dec 25, 2006
Houston tx area
How do you guys come out of the hole with the sled?? Wait till second gear to hit it or come out hard and try to build wheel speed? Been watching videos and people seem to do it different. Let me know what works for you. Thanks James

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
well ill be changing my tech. after the trans rebuild but with the stock trans. i would go 4hi and run 1st(my trans wouldnt shift into 2nd in 4lo), after easing it out around 25ft id hit it, but im gonna try 4lo and let it shift to 4th....ive heard ppl boost launch to get the wheel speed and throw loose dirt under the pan.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I Get the truck and sled moving about 2 -3 mph and nail it. The turbo is still not spooled yet and it gives it time to get to hard ground and lite. But im also 2wd.

GRAYAREA

Who's this REDNECK TEXAN
Jun 29, 2007
Sled pulling is a drag race the faster that you get it moving the more you will skid to say at the end .

I have it smashed while its still in 1st gear i would never pull in high side the converter is not locked up and your playing hell on the the tranny

I dont think you will be able to pull 4th gear that is one hell of a jump from 3rd to 4th just move the rpms up and let her eat in 3rd

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Don't pull in 4th. I am writing a new trans tune for pulling that will keep me in 3rd even if I forget to put the shifter there. I hit 4th on a run and it just bogged the hell outta the motor - it's too big of a jump and by that time the sled is dragging hard - your better off just watching the RPMs and staying in 3rd.

Shifter in 3rd, 4Lo, T/H.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Do you guys manually shift it or let the trans do its own thing?

Some guys like to do the 2-3 shift manually but I just let the tranny do the work. I raise all my shift point in EFI so I dont have to worry about not having enough rpm before it shift.

coming out of the hole also depends on the track. If you have a tight sticky track you can blow the tires off the line and make up for it. If the track is muddy or loose you wont get far getting on it in first

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Do you guys manually shift it or let the trans do its own thing?

Me being a high range puller i started to manually shift mine. Mine shifts way to soon from first to second and it likes to lug really bad. But i will agree high range is hell on a torque converter:D

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I sometimes will stand on the brakes, giv it about 60% throttle, by then the brakes cant hold anymore, then i roll into it so that im at WOT by the 50ft mark.

I pull in 4lo,3rd,T/H with modified shift points through EFI Live.

But again it depends on the track. Just kinda whatever feels right.

as for hitting 4th gear there are very few people that can do it but it can be done.

RolltheCoal

Aug 31, 2006
How do you guys come out of the hole with the sled?? Wait till second gear to hit it or come out hard and try to build wheel speed? Been watching videos and people seem to do it different. Let me know what works for you. Thanks James

Hold the brake and lay the hammer at the same time and when u cant hold it back anymore with the brakes she'll roll have the shifter in 3rd low tow haul with OD turned off, and if ur program is good enough or the track is loose u can shift up to 4th gear but u wont be able to spin out with less than 600hp