LMM: Single turbo recommendations

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Yo yo,

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on a turbo and go withs. Truck is a DD that tows regularly and might hit the strip a few times. Looking for longevity over peak power, but more go than a stocker. Single is all I'm after. By the time I'm ready Rick's manifolds and up pipes will be installed as well as an intercooler probably from mishimoto.

My search keeps leading back to Danville and a trip out to mark for the install and tuning. I know he'll steer me right but before I start bugging him I wanted to have a semblance of what direction I'm headed. Would prefer not to sacrifice quick spooling or effective braking.

As of now I have his stage 1.5 BMW and 68stg2r as well as a 4094avnt on my list. I'm cool with remans if the longevity is there. Thanks in advance

PS I know jack shit about the fine points of the available turbos. I know what a turbo does and how it does it, nothing past that.

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
68stg2r. Can tow well and can make lots of power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
That's what all roads have been leading to at this point. When you take in the time to do it hundreds more ain't that bad for the extra. I know they've been around a while, I assume they're holding up good?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
That's what all roads have been leading to at this point. When you take in the time to do it hundreds more ain't that bad for the extra. I know they've been around a while, I assume they're holding up good?

I've got a customer that tows 10-30k regularly with his and zero issues.. has 65k on it right now

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Sounds wicked, that I know. Just wasn't sure if it was overkill or not compared to the modded stock stage 2. or some other option I didn't know about.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I forget where in the NE you are, but you're welcome to come to NJ and take a ride inmy STG2R. Love it! Making the trip to see Mark for a dyno tune was also well worth it! His emailed tunes were good, but not as good as in person. Plus, he's a hell of a nice guy.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I forget where in the NE you are, but you're welcome to come to NJ and take a ride inmy STG2R. Love it! Making the trip to see Mark for a dyno tune was also well worth it! His emailed tunes were good, but not as good as in person. Plus, he's a hell of a nice guy.

What kind of power are you making with the 40s? I am not holding rail on my stock injectors. I'm pushing a crazy 3300uS though

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
3300us... timing says ouch! LOL.

I asked Mark to keep it as safe as reasonably possible. He kept about 25.5k minimum of RP and she made 636hp on his dyno. On the street I make couple more PSI of boost and sometimes I get a change filter warning after a romp in upper gears, so I'm guessing a few more ponies and a little less RP. My timing is only 23 degrees. 22 degrees on my 567hp tune #4. In tune 4 I'm above a stock max effort, but way less EGT and timing. I like that tune a lot and usually DD that tune, LOL. The biggest difference going to tune 5 is that Mark has it light harder sooner and it sticks the ass sideways right quick and in a hurry! FUN!

Honestly, after seeing some of the hero numbers out of a stock LMM on my turbo with adequate fuel... I'm lusting after a stroker or dual fuelers and tune 5 at 750hp, LOL. But, I don't want to kill my DD until I can afford to rebuild it. Not yet :) Some day for sure!

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
3250 and 31* of timing with your turbo should be rockin' though! Must be a fast bitch :):woott:

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
That's right where it at actually 3250. The 12.8 I ran was with vanes pretty tight. Kory had them around 50% at first and now they are at 40%. It pulls so much harder up top now. At 50% I was hitting 38 psi quick lol. The truck was still a bit smoker up top. Now I'm down around 35-36 psi but actually letting air flow and she just keeps pulling. I love it. I want to get some bigger sticks to get pulse down but I know I will want it turned up lol. I kind of need duals too my rail drops down to 21-23k at 3250.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
My stock fuel lmm made 628 1237 on the 68stg2r and ran great. Only thing i have to say is if u get marks turbo let mark tune it. I went back and forth with kory for ever before i got mad and called mark to make an appointment. That was the best decision ive ever made. Mark is a hell of a guy. The customer service alone was worth the price of the turbo after dealing with ppei.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
That's right where it at actually 3250. The 12.8 I ran was with vanes pretty tight. Kory had them around 50% at first and now they are at 40%. It pulls so much harder up top now. At 50% I was hitting 38 psi quick lol. The truck was still a bit smoker up top. Now I'm down around 35-36 psi but actually letting air flow and she just keeps pulling. I love it. I want to get some bigger sticks to get pulse down but I know I will want it turned up lol. I kind of need duals too my rail drops down to 21-23k at 3250.

Why so much pulse width? Mines at 2400 and will put a hurting on any other stock truck I've ran. With 35's and all the weight I have I have zero problems getting to 120+ and pretty quickly.