Question: Single peice drive shaft

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
at the pulls this weekend i noticed most everyone had single piece drive shafts
since i have chewd up 2 center barring supports now in 45K on my 2 piece shaft
wondering if a company is making one peice shafts or your just going to a drive line shop and having a one piece made to fit.

thanks

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i think is was brad (radvans) that was doing the same thing on his truck.

iirc he put a 1/2-3/4" spacer on the mounting area to drop it down and hassne had any more porblem.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
It helps a little but still eat them. Get about 30,000 before there gone.

I get a lot of "shake" on take off still. Hoping to get it into Greg in the near future to pull it and take a look at splines.

I have heard of a couple others that were going to try a 1 piece on DP and Compdiesel but didn't hear anything results. There was talk it was to far without a support and the angle on the ujoints is too much.

If you get one post up a review.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
It helps a little but still eat them. Get about 30,000 before there gone.

I get a lot of "shake" on take off still. Hoping to get it into Greg in the near future to pull it and take a look at splines.

I have heard of a couple others that were going to try a 1 piece on DP and Compdiesel but didn't hear anything results. There was talk it was to far without a support and the angle on the ujoints is too much.

If you get one post up a review.

You could probably have one made with cv's instead of u joints, it will cost a little though

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
at the pulls this weekend i noticed most everyone had single piece drive shafts
since i have chewd up 2 center barring supports now in 45K on my 2 piece shaft
wondering if a company is making one peice shafts or your just going to a drive line shop and having a one piece made to fit.

thanks

Have you tried to drop your center bearing? I've heard a couple of people space them down a little and it gets rid of the vibration when you take off and makes them last a lil more too

the4wheeler

May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
no haven't tried spacing anything out i think it would be better in the long run to change to a single piece
i think being a ZF truck that the drive train sees more serging thou the shifting than a Allison truck would see.
i don't plan on relay lifting my truck and as it sits the angles look prity decent
theres a drive line shop just across the street from my work ill hit them up and see how much to set me up with a big boy drive shaft.
thought i would ask tho see if someone made them allready

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I have a 1" spacer and it still eats them.

I get the dreaded shutter on take off. Reportedly it is caused by the splines not being greased correctly. I will have it taken off, balanced and greased in the next month or so to try and fix it.

I'm not ready to spend $1000-1500 on drive shaft yet.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
80000 miles and no probloms yet even with the lift:) I do have a spacer for the bearing and degree shims in the leafs

how about a better bearing or like posted CVs?

the4wheeler

May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
talked with the guy across the street (he knows his SH** ) said cant make a single piece that long in a 4" tube (exceeds 72") but said would be better to swap out the 1480 series center slip and cairer and universals with a 1510 series setup $ 500-550 to change out ,re size , weld the new stuff in and rebalanced
the next thing to add to the list haha