signs of headgaskets gone bad?????

DetailsUnlimited

Oct 26, 2009
Benton, Ar
Hey duallymax, found that after the dealership did the flush though the bottom hose and was leaking there. Have done the pressure test and past. No smell in exhaust. Best way to make sure to get all air out of system. And new cap.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
If you're doing both heads and head studs, it would probably be easier to pull the motor, or if you have a lift, lift the cab like Vinny said. I've never done it that way, but I can see where it would be quicker. I think it would be easier to work on the motor with it on a stand rather than in the frame of the truck though.

It is easier on the stand then the frame, taking the tires off does help a lot too.

the reason i did one with teh cab off was because I was too lazy to take my motor off the stand and I was sick of pulling transmissions at the time.

Its kind of a nuisance working around the control arms, and the two curly brake lines, but not too bad.

I think its a little quicker, but working on a stand is nicer.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
The ones I do I take off the rad support , head lights ect and front tires. Obviously alot more but thats the main part off the the front, you gain huge amounts of room and it makes bending over alot easier to do. I am also working on a lift so making adjustments to truck height are a push of the button away.

As far as head studs, they can be done in truck, but are much easier to do out of it. There is alot of clearance issues doing them in truck.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Is the weak link in this whole equation of coolant and exhaust the head bolt or the gasket then.......or both together???

I don't wanna be going through this anytime in the near future again. Trucks going to stay a stock turbo/stock cp3 truck for a while. I just assumed that the head bolts were worthless if they coldn't keep the heads on the gasket, started planning on replacing them with studs. That necessary??