shot peened rods

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Has any one tried shot peening stock duramax
Rods? If so we're results good bad or not cost effective compared to buying built rods? Just learned about this recently and I'm very interested in the process.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Compresses the surface of the material making it harder for cracks to form.

Not worth it IMHO.

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
Maxx it out... Really? Wont make them any stronger? Is that why a stock 12v rod will bend at around 1000hp and you can shot peen them and they will handle roughly 15-1600hp before they bend? Am I saying shot peened stock rods are a replacement for aftermarket rods... No. But it might be a viable option for someone on a tight budget. Now on the other side of that... Im no metalurgist and dont know the difference between the make up of 12v rods compared to duramax rods. So maybe it doesnt have the same effect on dmax rods.

Last edited:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
See I know it's for cracking. But from what I read on the Internet:hello: it said it made the material more dense and stronger. How much stronger and cost effectiveness come into play obviously. That was my thoughts that it might be a cheaper alternative to someone who is shooting for power on the breaking point 600ish or right over just for insurance. Like I said though has anyone even done it to d max rods?

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
Correct it relieves stress in the rods and makes them stronger. I worked at haisley machine for almost 2 years and they use shot peened rods in a lot of hot street and 2.6 engines. Like i siad their shot peened 12v rods are good for 1600hp. Anything above that and they go with billet rods. But your question remaines to be answered... Has anyone done it to dmax rods and tested them for strength before and after

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You guys need to do a search on here. Ben and a few others talk about cryoing and shot peening rods and how the afffect hardly much of an increase. 12v rods are not powder metal rods like we use, completely different in make up and production

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
Thats why i said i didnt know how it affected dmax rods. I have no need to search it ive got crowers for my build. Didnt know what the dmax rods were made of and didnt care.. I wouldnt reuse them.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Jackblack99 are you using them in common rail applications? From doing some reading on comp d, the CR guys are bending them easier then the mechanical guys. When do stock 12 valve rods bend compared to a shot peeled one.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
My fault lol the search bar does not work on my phone it disappears probably my phones fault. I'll try to find the thread.

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
They used them in both. From Curts dyno testing the shot peened rods were good to 1600hp. Anything over that they would bend. Stock 12v rods have been pushed over 1000hp but they usually bend around that area. The billet rods haisley use in the 3.0 engines at 16-800hp are made exactly the same as the rods they use in the 2600+hp super stock engines.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
They used them in both. From Curts dyno testing the shot peened rods were good to 1600hp. Anything over that they would bend. Stock 12v rods have been pushed over 1000hp but they usually bend around that area. The billet rods haisley use in the 3.0 engines at 16-800hp are made exactly the same as the rods they use in the 2600+hp super stock engines.
Shot peen may help our stock rods, but your working with a 40-50% weaker rod. That is why I say it is not worth it. It will not make a stock lb7 or lbz rod stand up to 1000 hp for very long.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Someone give me a set of lbz treated rods and lb7 treated rods, and ill test them both so we can separate fact from fiction. :thumb:

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
You guys need to do a search on here. Ben and a few others talk about cryoing and shot peening rods and how the afffect hardly much of an increase. 12v rods are not powder metal rods like we use, completely different in make up and production

This^

You cannot compare a shot peened 12v rod to a shot peened duramax rod.

Two very different materials

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
No one compared the 2 rods. I simply stated what shot peening does for the strength of a 12v rod and then said i didnt know what/if it would help on dmax rods. I said im not a metalurgist so i didnt know the difference between the 2.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Maxx it out... Really? Wont make them any stronger? Is that why a stock 12v rod will bend at around 1000hp and you can shot peen them and they will handle roughly 15-1600hp before they bend? Am I saying shot peened stock rods are a replacement for aftermarket rods... No. But it might be a viable option for someone on a tight budget. Now on the other side of that... Im no metalurgist and dont know the difference between the make up of 12v rods compared to duramax rods. So maybe it doesnt have the same effect on dmax rods.

Thats why i said i didnt know how it affected dmax rods. I have no need to search it ive got crowers for my build. Didnt know what the dmax rods were made of and didnt care.. I wouldnt reuse them.

well you asked the question, i answered it. then you "suggested" what shot peening a 12v could do, why it wouldnt work on a dmax. looks alot like a comparison.

i dont know why your pantys are in a wad. chill man, we are just answering your own question.