Shocks gone

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Ok went to install my spacers from Crazycrew (awesome seller btw) and found out shocks are shot. Issue now is which to buy. Went with Bilsteins on last HD and wasnt a fan. Little rougher riding than oem. Lasted forever though. Want PLUSH ride this go around. Not a race truck. Ive attached some pics to see where Im at at ride height fully extended. As you can see its beyond maxed out. Need input on whats out there to fix that. Will still run a spacer but what is normal travel on oem? Doesnt seem a spacer would fix this issue on these. Im not leveled all the way but am cranked a bit. Dont remember exact number off my head how much but rear still sits higher by at least 1.5". Im on 34.5" tires. You can see my UCA frame stop as well in the pics and should be within guidelines there too as its about an inch or so.

So whats a smooth ride shock and I assume I need more length in my shock to compensate for level?

Chris

Attachments

• Shock Extended.jpg
    Shock Extended.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 75
  • UCA Stop.jpg
    UCA Stop.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 66

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
So what did you end up going with? I've got fox shocks earlier this year and wondering if they are stiffer than some others also..

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Went with the Rancho 5000 up front since they are really the only ones I could find (and recommended from Monroe... parent company of Rancho) that would fit my 2.5"ish level. Might be less but cant find my sheet I wrote down measurements on.

Went with Rancho 9000xl in back.

I used spacer up front to start with on the new ones. Rode rough/stiff. Took it out and now rides a bit smoother. Rear started out at "0" setting and felt too wobbly so went to 2 and is where Im at now. Just put all on yesterday so dont even have 20 miles on setup yet.

Conclusion is Im probably as best as I can get now without compromising how long they last. Could I get smoother out of oem and double space em? Maybe. But at the end of the day I got to remember its a 8k lbs truck with E rated 34.5" all terrain tires with the torsion bars turned up (still ok at frame stops though... about an inch or more). Soooo Id say its better than what I had on there as far as soaking up the bumps but its no Caddy either. Its also not a car as well sooo.

Aside from all of that everyone is different and everyones opinion of what "comfortable" is is also different. Im not 25 anymore so I want more old manish ride now. But back then I thought mud running was comfortable so who knows. Only thing I can tell you is order it, put it on and try it out. Literally these LML style shocks can be changed in less than 4 minutes with the right tools. Easy as hell to go back and forth until you get it right.

Hope this helps.

Chris