Shock Suggestions?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
My shocks are shot, so I'm looking into options. I know of Bilstiens, Ranchos, and a few different Monroes (Reflex, SensaTrac, MonroMatic Plus, Gas Magnum). Primarily, Just a DD, with occasional towing and drag racing. Sled pulling may or may not be somewhere in the future. I've heard the Bilstiens are not really good if your going to drag race, so that kinda eliminates them. How would Monroes work for my use? The Rancho 9000's look neat, but at twice the price. I can get both Rancho and Monroes locally, and both have lifetime warranties. I could do all four if I where to get either Monroes or Rancho 5000's. If the 9000's are really that much better, I could do two right now. IF I where to go with the 9000's and only did two for now, which would be the most important ones to replace first; Front or rear?

Thoughts?

Thanks

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I like the info on the QA1's. However, my truck is a daily driver. For just a grocery getter, right now, what would be the best shock? Bilstiens, Ranchos, Monroes, or other shock manufacturers. I can read reports all day long but I would like person opinions too!:):)

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
My shocks are shot, so I'm looking into options. I know of Bilstiens, Ranchos, and a few different Monroes (Reflex, SensaTrac, MonroMatic Plus, Gas Magnum). Primarily, Just a DD, with occasional towing and drag racing. Sled pulling may or may not be somewhere in the future. I've heard the Bilstiens are not really good if your going to drag race, so that kinda eliminates them. How would Monroes work for my use? The Rancho 9000's look neat, but at twice the price. I can get both Rancho and Monroes locally, and both have lifetime warranties. I could do all four if I where to get either Monroes or Rancho 5000's. If the 9000's are really that much better, I could do two right now. IF I where to go with the 9000's and only did two for now, which would be the most important ones to replace first; Front or rear?

Thoughts?

Thanks

i would get the rancho 9000's they are very proven to do all things well , the others you mentioned may do just fine but you may have to be the first to try it to find out .

and if i had to choose front or rear i would do the front first . but if you tow alot the rear would see the bigger benifit , empty def the fronts . JMOP

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Just put on a set of Monroe Reflex's and love them - $51 each from O'Reilly. Granted my stockers had 98k on them and one pulled apart when I took them off the truck.:spit:

My brother had Ranchos and they were good but rode more harsh. Probably better performance but I drive mine 60 miles each day.;)

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Mine have 136k, so yeah, it's time :spit:...

What Rancho's did your brother have? the 5000's or 9000's? With the adjustability of the 9000's, it does seem like you can go from soft to stiff depending on what you're doing.

Just put on a set of Monroe Reflex's and love
them - $51 each from O'Reilly. Granted my stockers had 98k on them and one pulled apart when I took them off the truck.:spit:

My brother had Ranchos and they were good but rode more harsh. Probably better performance but I drive mine 60 miles each day.;)

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Mine have 136k, so yeah, it's time :spit:...

What Rancho's did your brother have? the 5000's or 9000's? With the adjustability of the 9000's, it does seem like you can go from soft to stiff depending on what you're doing.

He had the 9000s but I'm sure he never changed the settings on them too often. Probably explains the chuck wagon ride.

I changed mine when I needed a wheel bearing replaced. The front end on mine was way soft. I actually bought them before my bearing went bad and never got around to them.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
I bought a set of Bilsteins all the way around because of the good reviews. I wasn't enthused. They're OK, but wish I would have heard of the QA1's, seems they have great reviews too, guess it could've turned out the same way. I honestly think Monroe or similar would not have much noticeable difference with Bilsteins. Def. wish I would have gotten adjustables.

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I run the Monroe Reflex myself and I'm pretty happy with them. One thing to look out for is that the shocks are about 1/2" shorter than the OEM shocks. Just a bit firmer than OEM. If your going to crank the bars, the shock will bottom out and make the ride lousy.

I had the Bilstein Yellows and while they are a nice firm cornering shock, they made the front end noisy as heck. They gave the truck a "jittery" feeling. Great if your roads are smooth. Mine are definitely not...

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, after thinking about it and reading reviews out in the internet, plus here, DTR and DP, I ordered a full set of the RS9000XL's. Really shouldn't have ordered them all, but they're offering the "MyRide Wireless Remote Control System" for free with the purchse of a set of 4 (Retails for $259 @ Summit), and unfortunately, all four have to be on one invoice. We'll see how they go. Anything's gotta be better than 136k stockers :).

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Well, after thinking about it and reading reviews out in the internet, plus here, DTR and DP, I ordered a full set of the RS9000XL's. Really shouldn't have ordered them all, but they're offering the "MyRide Wireless Remote Control System" for free with the purchse of a set of 4 (Retails for $259 @ Summit), and unfortunately, all four have to be on one invoice. We'll see how they go. Anything's gotta be better than 136k stockers :).

did you get them on?
how are they?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Looks like Summit is running the special untill the end of Aug.

I need to get some fronts for sure, may do them all and I like the idea of the remote controlled adjusters