Service Brake System message

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Pulled them off last night and both had different charges. 12.89 and 12.65 or something. After sitting for a night they both dropped about .2 or so.
I will be testing with the carbon pile when I get home.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Looks like the 1st battery is weak and 2nd is borderline. Is this off a fresh change or after sitting for a few hours?

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
@2004LB7 Those batteries sat for about 20 hours before getting tested.

the numbers that I wrote down on the pieces of tape are the voltages when I took the batteries out and then this morning at 7 AM. About 10 hours between the two.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
While the batteries are not in the best shape, they are likely not the problem and it's a bad or loose connection. I'd check both the grounds and positive cables all the way to the fuse box

Reactions: shakenfake

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah I’d say the first one is no good.

Also, I’ve seen plenty of bad batteries cause flickering Led interior lights. The battery doesn’t absorb the alternators charge well enough and causes the surging. New batteries, all good.

Reactions: shakenfake

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Perhaps what I will do is continue to run these batteries until I can pull all the cables out. After I have condemned or confirmed proper function I will replace the batteries and start fresh.
How should I go about checking these? Just pull them all and then look for corrosion? I'm unsure. I believe that the way to do it is put the meter lead at the negative terminal on the battery and then at the ground point.

Is Standard Motor Products an acceptable brand for battery cables? I see that they have the negative for the auxiliary battery for $15 on RockAuto. Not that I am just going to blindly change them all but just in case.

Thanks guys for all the help!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would use your battery load tester. Put the cable in line with the battery and tester and see if there is a substantial drop. You might be able to just connect it at the fuse block/ground and run the test there to see how far it drops. You can do that right away without pulling anything out. One good battery in and test at the fuse box. Then charge and move the battery to the second side and test again.

Putting the sane load as your tester will do is the best way to verify the cables and connections are good.

An ohm test will just tell you there is at least one strand holding on. But a load test will tell you how many

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
IMG_7707.jpegIMG_7708.jpeg

Some green crusties on passenger cable but the wire looks good. The bolt also on the ground was just about rounded and I decided to just replace it since I had an extra.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
Been one month and haven't seen SBS message on the dash. I do get flickering with my LEDs in my map lights though, always random and could be the battery. It isn't bothering me enough right now. I'll put this on the back burner until I can get it back in the shop.