Help: Serious update problems

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I'm trying to update firmware and boot block. And its not working for me.

Going from boot block 2.04.10 to most updated version

Going from firmware version 2.04.72 to most updated version

I can't get the flash scan explorer to connect while in dead poll mode. It says i need boot block version 2.05.xx to connect. But i need the explorer to update the boot block. WTF :thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I can't remember what I had to do but if you haven't done it for awhile, it's a goat rope. It's posted in here somewhere what I had to do thanks to Cindy.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I worked through that and couldn't get it to work.

I was able to update the firmware fine, but I need to upgrade a few more levels. I couldn't figure out how to get the V2 to connect to the flash scan explorer. I'm guessing I need that connected before I can update the boot block.

Also, I tried to update the drivers which might be a problem as well but every time I try that it says it already has the latest version when I select the driver folder to load up. I know it's not the latest version because I just installed 7.5 and 8 tonight.

I love the software and it's unparalleled by anything else, but could I just get an Automatic Update like windows has and be done with all the hoop jumping?

Tordne

EFILive Crew
Vendor/Sponsor
May 5, 2008
www.efilive.com
The upgrade from 2.04.x to 2.05 is a pretty major change and the process that is outlined is unfortunately as simple as we could make it. The updates once you're on 2.05.x and later are much simplified.

Where exactly are you stuck now? Have you managed to get the 2.5.08 bootblock installed? Any 2.05.x firmware at all or is that where you're stuck?

Cheers,

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Where exactly are you stuck now? Have you managed to get the 2.5.08 bootblock installed? Any 2.05.x firmware at all or is that where you're stuck?

Cheers,

I'm trying to get from boot block 2.04.10 to anything 2.05.xx. I'm still stuck in the 2.04.xx's.

As I understand it, I need to do the upgrade in the explorer program. I just can't get the explorer to connect to the V2. I can get the V2 to connect to the scan tool and tuning tool, however. I'm pretty sure that I have the most updated USB driver, but that has been a slight challenge as well.

I have installed the mprog program and I'm going to work through those steps to see if it helps.

The biggest hurdle right now is getting the explorer to recognize the V2

Tordne

EFILive Crew
Vendor/Sponsor
May 5, 2008
www.efilive.com
EFILive Explorer and any other V8 software is only usable when you have actually upgraded to the 2.05.x bootblock already. Those tools cannot function at all with FlashScan v2 when still at 2.04.x versions.

You need to be following this guide (C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents\Upgrading FlashScan.pdf) for the upgrade. The upgrade of the bootblock as you'll read is actually performed on the physical V2 device itself.

Hopefully it will be smooth from here :)

Cheers,