Schrader valve delete question

Dante2795

Aug 19, 2017
So I’m in the process of doing a s400 kit and want to clean up the fuel hard lines. So my plan is to run a line straight from lift pump to cp3. Only question is when I do that what do I do with he return line that connects to the bottom of the Schrader valve?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I just removed mine. You don't need it except to diagnose if your lift pump is putting out the pressure you think. If you trust your lift pump or have other areas to test pressure, you can just remove that test port (GM calls it a Cold Start Valve) and all related plumbing.

Mine has been deleted for 4 years with no issues.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I just removed mine. You don't need it except to diagnose if your lift pump is putting out the pressure you think. If you trust your lift pump or have other areas to test pressure, you can just remove that test port (GM calls it a Cold Start Valve) and all related plumbing.

Mine has been deleted for 4 years with no issues.

Lb7 are different though. On the newer trucks the return line from the passenger side head ties into the bottom of the test port. I think the return line is a 1/8. You could get a 1/8 to 3/8 Barb fitting or make one to tie the return lines together

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Lb7 are different though. On the newer trucks the return line from the passenger side head ties into the bottom of the test port. I think the return line is a 1/8. You could get a 1/8 to 3/8 Barb fitting or make one to tie the return lines together
The factory LB7 plumbing setup is kind of retarded. Sounds like the new engines aren't much better.

I think it was all tied together on my LB7 too. I redid all the lines. I figure if he's able to run new lines to the CP3, he should be able to redo the return setup too.

But good heads up, wouldn't want to be halfway done and realize you need a part.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
The factory LB7 plumbing setup is kind of retarded. Sounds like the new engines aren't much better.

I think it was all tied together on my LB7 too. I redid all the lines. I figure if he's able to run new lines to the CP3, he should be able to redo the return setup too.

But good heads up, wouldn't want to be halfway done and realize you need a part.

I honestly can't remember because it been so long since I've deleted the test port on a lb7, if I remember right just the 1/2 line goes through the test port. I know the newer trucks the return goes throigh the bottom of the test port. The hardest part I remember ( it's been awhile since I've done mine) is I couldn't find a 1/8 to 3/8 Barb fitting. I took a 1/8 Barb to 3/8npt and a 3/8 Barb to 3/8npt and put them together with a 3/8npt coupling to hook the lines together. I also ran a line right to the cp3 and deleted the fuel filter

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I deleted all of that crap, deleted the filter head, fuel going through the ficm and test port. Ran a line straight from sump to cp3. Deleted return hard lines in the valley and tied everything together with a manifold block using pushlock hose. The lb7 feed and return system was very poorly designed.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I deleted all of that crap, deleted the filter head, fuel going through the ficm and test port. Ran a line straight from sump to cp3. Deleted return hard lines in the valley and tied everything together with a manifold block using pushlock hose. The lb7 feed and return system was very poorly designed.

Why do all that and let it still run thru the FICM? Or do you need to because of the AZ heat

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yes ficm dry about 7ish years now even in AZ, it never needed fuel.going through it that was stupid on GM's part. I deleted that first after one of those lines leaked years ago.