Sas

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Debating witch axle to use I have a hook up on 93-97 f350 axles and any year dodge axle I will be welding my own leaf pads on just want opinions on what axle I should go with

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
Debating witch axle to use I have a hook up on 93-97 f350 axles and any year dodge axle I will be welding my own leaf pads on just want opinions on what axle I should go with

Dodge axle from a newer ram uses the same abs sensors so that will still function. And besides that, the dodge axle is the same lug pattern, where Ford uses that 8x170 odd ball.

Ford setup seems like a hassle unless you swap both front and rear so the lug patterns are the same, or at least change out your inner axles to match one or the other.

I certainly wouldn't base my decision on having to weld on two little leaf pads, that sounds like a simplest aspect of it all.

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Well the 93-97 ford uses the 8x6.5 lug pattern only 99+ had the other one but I was just wandering if people had better luck with certain axles or anything

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ford axles till 97 were the same lug pattern as our chevys.

Use an 03-up dodge axle. Same hubs and abs as our trucks. The ball joints just suck with big tires

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
A 93-97 ford axle will have the same lug pattern, 99 and up is the 8x170hard pattern. Go with the dodge and keep the abs light off IMO

03dirtymx

Aug 15, 2012
Knoxville, IL
If you go with the dodge axles I would also do a lock-out conversion kit which would aslo get rid of the junk factory wheel bearings JMO It is a must with bigger tires and rims

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I would run a 78-79 ford d60. Could also the later style hp d60. I ran an 89 hp d60 for a while. Then upgraded to on 07 ford super duty d60. With 35 spline inner and outer axles. Big ball joints. Everything on the 05+ super duty axles are beefy as hell. Other than these newer d60's, I would personally stay away from any ball joint crap. The aam 9.25 that is found under the dodges are decent. But they are not the same size as a dana 60. They are equivalent to dana 50's. You could even do something bad ass and unusual. Like running a low pinion d60 out of an older chevy. But it would take alot of work and would have to run a different tcase. Not sure what year ford change the bolt pattern to their current 8x170mm. The older bolt pattern is the same as ours 8x6.5 but the studs are standard vs. metric. Leaf sprung setup I would run the 78-79 ford hp d60. Has a narrow spring pad width, which helps with turning radius. And able to locate the shackle hangers in board of the frame enough so you run a lower lift heigth. Also the differential is more centered. And not have to worry as much about hitting the steering box or pitman arm.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
The other thing about the AAM though the hub sizes are different stock GM wheels will not work without being machined out. Not a huge missed since you'll probably use aftermarket wheels but something I've ran into using a Dodge AAM rear axle when I was putting some rollers on my truck for storage.

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
yes i have aftermarket wheels and reguardless witch axle i use i will be welding my own pads on so that way i can run excursion springs on the inside of the frame rail like stated above and im not running really big tires 33-13-r18 just want it to hold up as i do pull alot now and go to the strip alot too

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Ford D60's range from couple hundred bucks up to a 5k plus. I think the late 90's to 2004ish. The axles under the super duties were not D60's. But were D50's.

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Ran into little problem I use my truck to plow with I have western ultra mount any else running a plow with a straight axle set up?

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Its not the amount of power it's more that I need to re do the whole front end as it is and really beat the crap out of the truck so figured I'm gonna have the truck for quite soon time and have a built proof motor and Trans minds well make the front end totally bullet proof

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Its not the amount of power it's more that I need to re do the whole front end as it is and really beat the crap out of the truck so figured I'm gonna have the truck for quite soon time and have a built proof motor and Trans minds well make the front end totally bullet proof

Then dont run either of the aformentioned axles. Buy either a king pin old ford axle or a 05-up ford axle if you want bullet proof

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Then dont run either of the aformentioned axles. Buy either a king pin old ford axle or a 05-up ford axle if you want bullet proof

X2... and I stated that as well. I had an 89 kingpin under my truck. Then upgraded to the 05+ super duty axle. Everything on the axle is pure beef. The axle tubes alone are about 1/2" larger than our rear aam's.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
X2... and I stated that as well. I had an 89 kingpin under my truck. Then upgraded to the 05+ super duty axle. Everything on the axle is pure beef. The axle tubes alone are about 1/2" larger than our rear aam's.

Yeah i was only mentioning which of the two he would like better over what he gave us options too. Now that "bulletproof" was metioned, i retract all prior statements