Safety Help Please

DigTx

Nov 21, 2019
San Antonio area
Safety Help Requested!

I am new so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. If it needs to be moved please let me know.

I have had 2 Neck surgeries.
After the second one it’s really hard for me to look to the hard left when an intersection is not at a right angle.
If the intersection requires me to look back over my shoulder I am restricted therefore creating a hazardous situation.
I can turn my whole body which helps but extreme angle to the left makes it impossible to see if someone’s coming.
Now to my question please:

Is there a Camera device I could put on my Duramax mirror to help me see behind me better? Or is there any other method that would make this safer for myself and everyone on the highway?
My wife cannot drive so I really need to solve this problem.
Thank you all for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You might be able to mount a backup camera to the mirror somehow and wire it to an aftermarket screen somewhere. The issue is it still could have a blind spot that nothing but your own eyes could really see

RugbyRef

Man in the middle
Jul 1, 2021
Southern Indiana
@DigTx - not sure which year your vehicle is, but on most heavy duty trucks, nowadays, are equipped with a convex mirror under the primary driver side-mirror.

For example:

1625227313217.png

If I'm at an angled intersection, I can adjust the smaller mirror by pushing on it and it allows me to see without twisting my head (like that actress in the Exorcist), or my body.

In case your vehicle does not have that option, there are plenty of aftermarket stick-on convex mirrors for your side-mirrors. Here's a link:

Amazon - Blind Spot Mirrors

Good luck!

Reactions: DigTx

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Check on Amazon they have a screen that mounts over your rear view mirror and comes with a camera. It’s made to go on the back if your trailer.

Reactions: DigTx

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Having no idea what truck you drive, so this is all guesswork.
You could research aftermarket blind-spot detection systems to install in your side mirrors and see if one of those would do what you're asking.
You could install a rear view camera system that uses a monitor in the rear view mirror or aftermarket radio.
These can be costly to install.

In the end, if your abilities are impaired to the point its unsafe for you to be behind the wheel or you are a hazard to other drivers, then maybe you have to accept that fact and look into public or private ridesharing services. Not sure your age, but your locality may have services for seniors that could help.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is what I was thinking:

Reactions: RugbyRef

DigTx

Nov 21, 2019
San Antonio area
Having no idea what truck you drive, so this is all guesswork.
You could research aftermarket blind-spot detection systems to install in your side mirrors and see if one of those would do what you're asking.
You could install a rear view camera system that uses a monitor in the rear view mirror or aftermarket radio.
These can be costly to install.

In the end, if your abilities are impaired to the point its unsafe for you to be behind the wheel or you are a hazard to other drivers, then maybe you have to accept that fact and look into public or private ridesharing services. Not sure your age, but your locality may have services for seniors that could help.

Not sure “they” could pull a backhoe through San Antonio traffic and survive lol. Even with a partially stiff neck they are safer with me (50 years experience).
Once I get this mirror option everyone has offered I’m sure it will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk